Happy Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day!

by DFS-Pet-Blog on February 2, 2017

February used to be a gloomy month, halfway between the major holidays and green shoots peeking up from the ground. We fixed that by making it a month to celebrate, among other things, past presidents, football, African-American history, new television shows, the human love of your life, and the appearance of an extra day every four years.

But what about pet lovers? Well, February is National Pet Dental Month and Responsible Pet Owners Month. It’s the month the Westminster Dog Show occurs and National Spay Day happens.

Pet lovers are all for responsibility, but what about just plain fun and good lovin’?

89473_005HZ

February 23 is also International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day! Here’s how pet parents celebrate around the world:

– In France, give your dog a “biscuits pour chiens”
– In German-speaking countries, a “Hundekuchen” is what dogs prefer
– In Mexico or Spain, gather the “galletas para el perro” and spread some dog cheer
– In Italy, dip a biscotti in your own “caffe”, but give a “biscotto per cani” to your dog

Have you ever wondered when it was that humans started realizing that dogs will do what we want, or that we can make dogs happy (which dog lovers adore!) by simply giving them a small piece of food?

As social beings, we break bread with other humans, in part, to bond. Dogs are social creatures, too. When you give your dog a dog biscuit you are helping cement that already-tight bond of love and trust between your dog and yourself.

Dogs have eaten and enjoyed discarded bread since the Roman Empire. In mid-1800 Great Britain, dog treats made of grain and baked were given to hunting dogs for extra energy.

Commercial dog biscuits were first “invented” in the late 1800s by a man from Cincinnati who saw dogs scavenging on hardtack (a long-lasting sailor’s bread) disposed of at the docks in London. He patented the idea and sold the biscuits as dog food. In the beginning of the 20th century, another brilliant American inventor, whose dog biscuits were not selling well, decided to make the biscuits in the shape of bones, and that’s where we get the familiar treat we give our canine companions today.

What can you do to celebrate this doggitylicious day?

• EASY……Give your dog a biscuit when he sits, gives you a paw, quiets down after alerting you to a visitor, or just because you love him.
  • HARDER…..Put your dog in a down-stay and put a biscuit in front of him. Make him wait until you say, “OKAY!” and imagine his excitement as he scarfs down the biscuit!
  • HARDEST….Teach your dog to balance a biscuit on his nose, flip it in the air, and then snap it up!
  • Bring a bag of biscuits or two to your local animal shelter
  • Leave bags of dog biscuits in the appropriate container at a nearby food shelf.
  • Take a bag to your veterinarian’s so they can distribute them to client’s dogs, if they wish
  • If you work in a dog-friendly environment, grab some biscuits and dole them out among your canine colleagues (with their guardian’s permission of course!)

Trying to teach Rudder to hold a biscuit on his snout. He didn't do it, but got the biscuit anyway!

Biscuits, though an old-fashioned treat, remain a healthy favorite. Biscuits made with quality ingredients not only taste good, but the scraping action most dogs use to chew them help remove debris from their teeth that could cause dental problems later.

Remember, treats should not constitute more than 10% of your dog’s daily diet, even on this day devoted to the familiar bone-shaped treats.

Well, I know that tonight I will go home and try, once again, to balance a biscuit on Rudder’s big snout. Trouble is, I’m not very strict, and when eyes start crossing and drool drips, I just end up handing it to him and calling it a day. But today at least I can call it an “International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day”!

Tracy Brooks February 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

Not only is it Dog Biscuit Appreciation day but it’s my birthday and our two labs also get a special treat because we are having people over and it will give my labs something to enjoy while everyone is eating.

james February 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

I baked a bunch of Biscuits for all my dogs friends and will be bringing them there Goodies!!

Joanne Gregory February 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

Have a dog biscuit cake and invite the neighborhood!

Heather February 23, 2012 at 9:15 am

Nitro loves to have his treats in his kong with extra peanut butter!!

Suzanne Francke February 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

Bring a bag to the dog park to share with the doggie friends there. (w/permission of owners)

Jennifer February 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

I actually have a bag of dog biscuits in my car to take over to the Humane Society, so will do that today. And I didn’t even know it was Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day! I’ll also be sure to give my dog one when I get home, just for her being her. thanks!

dayna k. February 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’d love to give back to my local animal shelter and give out lots of doggy biscuits. 🙂

Alison February 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

I think I’ll make homemade dog biscuits with my puppy then take a set to work and share with my puppy-loving co-workers 🙂

james February 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

Baking Homemade biscuits for all my Dogs friends for National Dog Biscuit Day!!

Brandi Locke February 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

I work at a veterinarian clinic, so i would hand out dog biscuits to the the doggies coming into celebrate.;)

Amy McElhaney February 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

We call dog biscuits “cookies” at my house. My puppy doesn’t know the term too well yet but my 14 year old mix breed certainly knows it! I’d say dog biscuit appreciation day is Tyler and Casey’s favorite day of the year. They love their cookies! I don’t make Casey sit most of the time for a treat because her back is arthritic and she has a hard time with her back end. But Ty will do a sit/down and stay. He is learning. For dog appreciation day I’ll have to give them a few extra cookies to celebrate – I’m sure they will be all for it. Thanks for all the great products at Drs. Foster and Smith. Your dog beds are amazing – I have a classic bed that has lasted 10 years with only additional stuffing purchased. Love your products!

Cee February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Bring out the Biscuits it’s snack time!! says the dog..

Monica DeLaCruz February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m thinking for national dog treat day we should celebrate by exchanging a doggie treat with our fellow dog owners to celebrate the day!

Kim Suskey February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

yay doggy treats ” biscuits”

Melissa February 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am going to make Jemma’s favorite biscuits from scratch in celebration of this day!

Jennifer Crothers February 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

To celebrate IDBD, my Noodle and Belle (mini dachshund and standard dachshund) will be rewarded with a healthy dog biscuit today instead of their normal dental chew treat. Biscuits are a great dental treat, too, and my girls need all the dental help they can get. So, after a long walk/play session, I’ll reward them with a dog biscuit on this International Dog Biscuit Day.

Diane Peirano February 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

When Grippo and I walk today, we will share biscuits with all the canine friends we meet along the way. Grippo is always eager to meet new friends and what better way is there to meet new friends than to share a treat with them?

Lynna Warren February 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

I would share the biscuits with all my pound puppies!

Amy Faith Naylor February 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

Dennis (pound puppy mix.. jack Russel/shit zu?) & I like to celebrate by making our own dog biscuits. He likes to taste the batter!

Randy Roache February 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

My babies get their biscuits for good deeds and as a reward for going outside to do their buisness

Melva Wyatt February 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

Walks are an important way to keep dogs healthy, so mine (a Dalmation Mix) gets one after every walk as a treat. The balancing biscuit act seems like cruel & unusual punishment to me. Thus the drool. lol Give one to Rudder just for being Rudder. He`s gorgeous.

Connie T February 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

We’re making our own today!

Nancy Wood February 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

With a nice big kiss and a good dog praise!

Cheryl February 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

We have 2 pound puppies from a string of pound puppies that we have had over the last 18 years. All have had a great life after the rescues, since we don’t know what their lives were like before, and they all got Drs. Foster & Smith mint biscuits. All of our dogs love the biscuits and when they hear the bag they come running.

Barb February 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

WOW- so many spectacular ideas! Keep ’em coming! And Happy Birthday, Tracy!

Denise K February 23, 2012 at 10:13 am

FOCUS. Whether at the vets office or on a walk at Lake Massabesic, NH.. a biscuit in the palm of the hand for him to sniff and FOCUS on me and not the other dogs walking by. When dogs are out of range of my 96.6 lb Bullmastiff.. he gets his biscuit. At the vets offices too. Keep the biscuit in the hand, for him to smell, and talk to him.. when the vet draws the blood work. He gets his treat.

Diane G. February 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

Today, I am making dog biscuits for my “doghter”. What better way to celebrate dog biscuit appreciation day than to make and eat them? Well, the furkid will eat them. 🙂

Amanda February 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

I will make our four-legged kiddos some carob pup-cakes (individual cupcakes) with a milk bone (aka treat/biscuit) baked on top. This sounds like a great way to celebrate international dog biscuit day. They love these pup-cakes! And international dog biscuit day gives me an excuse to spoil them 🙂

bridget nawrot February 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Play “hide the cookie”. Hide the treats throughout the house and make them find it using their nose.

Amy K. Stong February 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

Sounds like a good day to make some special homemade doggy treats flavored with all natural peanut butter which is their favorite! The pot bellied pigs will definitely be excited to hear that we have another holiday to celebrate! They love their cookies too!

Heather Shank February 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

Take your pup with you to the drive thru at the bank and have your pup “ask” for a treat (biscuit)!

Roberta Olson February 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

In honor of Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day, all my babies will get an extra treat tonight to celebrate!!

Barb February 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

Wow- it looks like lots of lucky dogs out there!

For those wondering: Rudder gets plenty of love and biscuits just for being the best dog that lives at my house (I only have one right now, so I’m safe saying that!) I practice Water Rescue Training with him in the summer – in one of the exercises he has to take and hold a boat bumper in his mouth, so any exercise that encourages him to concentrate on holding something somewhere helps. Plus, he always gets an extra just for being wonderful…

Penny February 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

My two pups always love new tasting biscuits! Great Day to try
something different.

Kelsey February 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

We’ll use biscuits to encourage harmony today 🙂 We are dog sitting my sister’s dog and although the four get along for the most part, sometime it gets a little too loud and rambunctious for me. Nothing nothing distracts the boys like this shaking of a biscuit bag. Everyone runs over, sits down and waits their turn patiently and balance is restored, although I am running a little low on biscuits 😉

Ann Chantrel February 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I think my dogs would love a dog biscuit topping on their dinner tonight!!

Nicole P February 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’ll be baking some homemade dog biscuits and freezing them (or at least some of them, my dogs will demand a few) to be sold at next fundraiser for Friends of the City of Cleveland Kennel.

Martha February 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I plan to get a big bag of biscuits for Raven to share with all her doggie friends in the neighborhood and at the dog park! She’ll be one popular girl this afternoon!

Denise Flynn February 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Buying more biscuits! Our dogs think every package that arrives is from DFS & must contain goodies : )

Elizabeth Nocera February 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

My poodle Nelson loves biscuts! In honor of International Dog Biscut Day he’s going to share one of his treats with his “sister” conure Rocky 🙂

Sue Hicks February 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

My 3 furry family members, Fizgig, Jake and Darby were excited to hear that today was a special day celebrating their favorite snacks. They say “Bring on the goodies”.

Barb February 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I keep coming back to check on these comments, and am so impressed at the creativity of all you dog owners that have responded! Also, some of the names you pick for your pets are outstanding! Bravo to all pet owners on this celebratory treat day devoted to dogs!

Kathy February 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Lindy, my beagle and Pearly, my Bichon, are both rescues from the local SPCA. They both love dog biscuits!! And my 5 yr old granddaughter, Brigid , loves giving them their “cookies”. in honor of International Dog Biscuit Day, what better way to celebrate- I’m going to get them each a biscuit right now!!

Terri February 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

EVERY DAY is dog biscuit day at my house! With three dogs (two cocker spaniels) and a chihuahua/jack russell rescue, I’m constantly handing biscuits. I love it!!!!! Thank you Fosters & Smith for being such a great site! You ROCK!

Tammy Thompson February 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

We trained our puppy to shake a bell on the door to go outside to do his business. Bisquits come in handy and he loves them.

Amy Elrod February 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

We would LOVE some dog biscuits!!!!!

Amy Primeau February 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I think we’ll play a game of ‘which hand’. I hold a treat in one of my fists, and hold both fists out for the beagles. Then I ask ‘Which Hand?” . Whichever beagle I’m playing with will nudge one of my hands with their nose. If they were right, they get a treat. If they were wrong (they rarely are), they get to try again. It’s more fun than just giving them a treat.

Anthony Katulski February 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I ask my dog(BK) to give me his paws every day for a treat aka buscuit. He is a well trained Pit!

Sherry G February 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I’m going to try a new recipe I found for homemade biscuits for a treat for Maddie.

Amanda Bell February 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I think that making sure my dog has healthy treats is a great way to celebrate the day. Like people, they need to watch what they eat, and a healthy treat is so important!