Happy Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day!

by DFS-Pet-Blog on February 2, 2017

February used to be a gloomy month, halfway between the major holidays and green shoots peeking up from the ground. We fixed that by making it a month to celebrate, among other things, past presidents, football, African-American history, new television shows, the human love of your life, and the appearance of an extra day every four years.

But what about pet lovers? Well, February is National Pet Dental Month and Responsible Pet Owners Month. It’s the month the Westminster Dog Show occurs and National Spay Day happens.

Pet lovers are all for responsibility, but what about just plain fun and good lovin’?

89473_005HZ

February 23 is also International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day! Here’s how pet parents celebrate around the world:

– In France, give your dog a “biscuits pour chiens”
– In German-speaking countries, a “Hundekuchen” is what dogs prefer
– In Mexico or Spain, gather the “galletas para el perro” and spread some dog cheer
– In Italy, dip a biscotti in your own “caffe”, but give a “biscotto per cani” to your dog

Have you ever wondered when it was that humans started realizing that dogs will do what we want, or that we can make dogs happy (which dog lovers adore!) by simply giving them a small piece of food?

As social beings, we break bread with other humans, in part, to bond. Dogs are social creatures, too. When you give your dog a dog biscuit you are helping cement that already-tight bond of love and trust between your dog and yourself.

Dogs have eaten and enjoyed discarded bread since the Roman Empire. In mid-1800 Great Britain, dog treats made of grain and baked were given to hunting dogs for extra energy.

Commercial dog biscuits were first “invented” in the late 1800s by a man from Cincinnati who saw dogs scavenging on hardtack (a long-lasting sailor’s bread) disposed of at the docks in London. He patented the idea and sold the biscuits as dog food. In the beginning of the 20th century, another brilliant American inventor, whose dog biscuits were not selling well, decided to make the biscuits in the shape of bones, and that’s where we get the familiar treat we give our canine companions today.

What can you do to celebrate this doggitylicious day?

• EASY……Give your dog a biscuit when he sits, gives you a paw, quiets down after alerting you to a visitor, or just because you love him.
  • HARDER…..Put your dog in a down-stay and put a biscuit in front of him. Make him wait until you say, “OKAY!” and imagine his excitement as he scarfs down the biscuit!
  • HARDEST….Teach your dog to balance a biscuit on his nose, flip it in the air, and then snap it up!
  • Bring a bag of biscuits or two to your local animal shelter
  • Leave bags of dog biscuits in the appropriate container at a nearby food shelf.
  • Take a bag to your veterinarian’s so they can distribute them to client’s dogs, if they wish
  • If you work in a dog-friendly environment, grab some biscuits and dole them out among your canine colleagues (with their guardian’s permission of course!)

Trying to teach Rudder to hold a biscuit on his snout. He didn't do it, but got the biscuit anyway!

Biscuits, though an old-fashioned treat, remain a healthy favorite. Biscuits made with quality ingredients not only taste good, but the scraping action most dogs use to chew them help remove debris from their teeth that could cause dental problems later.

Remember, treats should not constitute more than 10% of your dog’s daily diet, even on this day devoted to the familiar bone-shaped treats.

Well, I know that tonight I will go home and try, once again, to balance a biscuit on Rudder’s big snout. Trouble is, I’m not very strict, and when eyes start crossing and drool drips, I just end up handing it to him and calling it a day. But today at least I can call it an “International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day”!

Cheyanne Forgatch February 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Every day is biscuit day with 3 big dogs that are sooo good!! They go out for potty just to get a biscuit! Today they will get a special bedtime biscuit to celebrate!

John Harri February 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

double biscuit day

Mary Pokrajac February 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Kemo LOVES his dog treats He will wait patiently until he gets one, Whenever he goes out , he knows it’s treat time when he comes in.

Jennifer February 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

We will celebrate by baking some homemade biscuits.

Peg Griffin February 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I think the best way to celebrate the day would be free dog biscuits for all dogs!

Jean February 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ozzie will get a few extra ‘Cookies” ( that is what we call them). He loves any kind of treat!

wendy February 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm

My goldendoodle gets Charlie Bear treats for remembering his good manners. He also gets tre
ats for all the tricks he does. Thanks Foster n Smiths for a great store and web site! <3

Lena S February 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I like to hide his biscuits throughout the house and make him “find” them, he gets super excited and gives his mind a workout too!!

Mary February 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I hide treats every morning before I go to work. Bozee waits in the kennel and then goes to collect them. Funny how he skips over some to get the ones he likes best first!! LOL Love my dog..

Amanda Haydon February 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Being a huge animal advocate the best way I can think of celebrating Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day is to go into local shelters with a special treat for each of the dogs. Shelter dogs everywhere would be the most appreciative! you may even get a smooch from a pooch!

Holly J February 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I am thinking Zeus, Sierra and I will make homemade biscuits. We have a great recipe for whole wheat biscuits! I will package them up since the dogs can’t and will give them to all the neighborhood pups in celebration of such an awesome day!

MotorCityMich February 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Doggie cakes decorated with biscuits!

MotorCityMich February 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Better yet… donate some biscuits to a local shelter or rescue group. Those puppies deserve a treat too. <3

Lisa Noonan February 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I think a good way to celebrate is to go to your local animal shelter and leave a few boxes of yummy biscuits!! For my Maggie, today it will be a ‘double biscuit’ day!! 🙂

Shawna Hardman February 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Doggie biscuits to all the good dogs and an extra biscuit for the ones at the shelter! They need to know that someone still cares

Carol February 23, 2012 at 10:33 pm

My puppies love to get biscuits. They will do tricks to get their treats. Frankie thinks if he does more tricks, he will get extra biscuits!

Ellen B. February 24, 2012 at 8:15 am

So many great ways to celebrate International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day! We received 160 “Likes” on our Facebook posts so three lucky people get a free 2-lb bag of Drs. Foster & Smith dog biscuits. The lucky people are: Kelsey, Mary and Tracy Brooks. I will email the three of you for shipping information.

Cris March 4, 2016 at 1:00 am

Wow I didn’t realize this was a thing. Whoops sorry April. I will put this down next year for sure. Doggie biscuits every where!

Barb S. March 4, 2016 at 9:06 am

Hi Cris- Yep,dogs deserve a food day, too – several, in fact, if they have anything to say about it!

Thanks for commenting.

Barb

melinda March 25, 2016 at 10:51 am

My dog absolutely loves these treats, I’ll be sure to give her one today. Thanks for the post.

Briana W. March 25, 2016 at 11:41 am

Give her a biscuit every day. As far as I’m concerned all days should be “Biscuit Day”! Thanks for your comment.

Harry April 21, 2016 at 8:23 am

Great treat! My dog loves them. 🙂

Heidi May 12, 2016 at 9:58 am

I will have to get these for my pup! Thanks for the share, love your blog!

Barb S. May 12, 2016 at 10:03 am

Thanks, Heidi and Harry!

We’ll give our dogs an extra biscuit for each of you!

Barb

Corey June 14, 2016 at 8:00 am

Great site, very helpful!

Arianne July 25, 2016 at 11:10 pm

My dog really loves them. Thanks for the post.

woofbnb July 28, 2016 at 2:14 am

My puppies love Biscuits. great treat. Thank you for sharing

Rachel Brosky February 5, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Another holiday for me to celebrate! I appreciate the history you added to this. It’s neat to know how these biscuits got started, considering they’ve always been the norm for my dogs growing up. Thanks!

robin slayton February 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Hi Barb, Well done on another fun and interesting blog! I love that you include pics of your own “kids”! Rudder is so gorgeous and I feel a (probably odd!) connection to him! I’d contacted you before about our shared breeder, Joyce! I never did get up with her, recently found a different # than the one I had and left a rather rambling message to her about my Atticus, I’d gotten from her in ’03.(if it was the wrong #, can only imagine what they thought after enduring that message!!). Anyway, I’m am finally ready to begin the Newfy puppy search! While I’d love most in the world another HugyBears pup-but I am not sure if she’s still breeding. If she isn’t I want a pup from someone as close to the kind of caring, experienced, knowledgeable breeder, who’s out to better the breed-not out to just make money, that I know Joyce to be. So, I’m hoping to get some guidance from either of you-if you have any information or recommendations, I’d so very much appreciate any help at all. People on the phones or internet can spin a pretty tale and basically tell you all you want to hear whether true or not! So, I don’t necessarily trust myself to weed through info and mis-info!! I appreciate you’re having bared with me so far! (I do tend to be a bit wordy) I’d be grateful for any help or ideas! Thank you, Robin Slayton