How to Puppy Proof Your House

by DFS-Pet-Blog on December 11, 2015

Puppies have a lot of natural curiosity. This is part of what makes them so much fun, but it can also lead them into harmful situations. Before you bring your new puppy home, make sure you survey your home for potential dangers.

Puppy Proofing Tips

Puppies like to chew - everything!

Puppies like to chew - everything!

Electrical cords
While playing, a puppy may chew on an electrical cord, which can cause burns in the mouth, electrical shock, or death by electrocution. Run cords through purchased spiral cable wrap, cord concealers, or even PVC pipe to keep them safe from your puppy.

Drugs and medications
Keep all medications in a safe area the puppy can’t get to. Don’t leave vitamins or other pills out on the kitchen counter or table. A determined chewer can make short work of a plastic container.

Tobacco
Tobacco products, including nicotine gum and patches, contain substances that can be toxic or fatal.

Food
Chocolate, onions, alcohol, and foods high in fat, sugar, or salt can be very harmful. Grapes and raisins contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. (More info: Foods That Are Bad For Dogs & Cats)

puppy-center-email

Trash
Chicken bones, plastic food wrap, coffee grounds, meat trimmings, the string from a roast- all pose a potential hazard. Make sure garbage is stored in a tightly closed container that your puppy can’t get into.

Poison
Avoid using mouse or ant poisons. Mice and rat poisons, especially, taste good to dogs, and are deadly.

Household cleaners
Keep cleaning supplies in high cupboards or use childproof latches to secure lower cupboards. Avoid automatic toilet bowl cleaners if you can’t keep your puppy from drinking out of the toilet. Remove the puppy from the area when you are using liquid or spray cleaners. They can get into the eyes of a curious puppy, and the vapors can be harmful to lungs and eyes.

Plants
Toxic plants commonly found indoors include dieffenbachia, azalea, Calla lily, and philodendron.

Open windows and doors
Keep doors and windows closed, and make sure screens are secure.

Stairs
Close off stairwells with a pet gate.

Clothes
Swallowed clothing may cause a dangerous intestinal blockage. Keep socks, nylons, underwear, and other clothing put away. Keep laundry baskets off the floor.

Lots of Puppy Proofing

Breakables/valuables
Keep costly items and those of sentimental value put away until your puppy is older and less likely to chew. Jewelry and coins are easily swallowed and can contain metals that are toxic.

Fire and heat sources
Any type of fire can be dangerous. Screen off fireplaces and wood stoves. Never leave your puppy unattended in a room with an open flame or space heater.

Related Puppy Posts:

dog-toys

Puppy Proofing Your Home | Doggy Stuff
April 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

Lori Dede April 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

#Pets. Providing a safe Large Bristle Busy Bone to your dog will help him/her learn to play with safe, healty toys. It will also help keep their teeth clean and provide exercise by chewing and tiring them out.They can play safely with a toy that is not similar to household items and teaches them what is an acceptable chew toy. My English Setter would love a new chew toy.

Beth Feder April 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

Beth Feder April 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

#Pets I think these are very relevant to curious cats too! My cat would love a CatSpa!

KATTY BASTANZI April 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

I LOVE DR. FOSTER SMITH. I WOULD LOVE CAT SPA

Martha April 23, 2012 at 11:39 am

Great tips. I’m passing along to a friend who just got a puppy. #PETS

Martha April 23, 2012 at 11:41 am

Whoops, I forgot. I’m entering for the Cat Spa. #PETS

kelly July 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I have 3 goldendoodles for 5 years nows. My home will never be 100% dog proofed! Why not blog about dog obesity, I was looking for some info and did’t find any here. But I understand that it is becoming a major dog health isue that is growing.

Dan January 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

We had a problem with our corgi chewing on electrical cords. We ended up getting some cord protectors off of Amazon and coating them with Bitter Apply spray. Worked wonders!!!

Happy New Year and stay safe everyone!
-Dan

Peyton January 7, 2016 at 4:21 pm

My Great Dane puppy knocked out a window screen twice by pawing. I couldn’t get mad at him since it took two times before I realized I needed to shut the window.

Rhea Jones December 8, 2016 at 3:30 am

thanks for the tips. My husband and I just got a pup home and we weren’t really sure what to do. Its the first time we are having pets, neither of us has pets when we were young. So this was a huge undertaking for us and your article helped us prepare our home for the little one.

Paula December 19, 2016 at 3:58 pm

We had problems with our dog chewing on our potted plants. Just had to move them out of the room he sleeps in.