How to Help Your Dog’s Anxiety

by DFS-Pet-Blog on November 3, 2015

Dog-Question

One of our blog readers recently posted a tough question about a challenging dog behavior, anxiety. Dog anxiety is common enough that I decided the answer warranted a whole blog post, not just a quick answer.

Question: “My Golden retriever is 7 years old. He has skin cancer that has spread. He has major anxiety now. I home school my children and when we use a stapler he is tipping over chairs and tables to hide. We boarded him and our Newf together in a kennel that he is very familiar with, during the holidays (they said he did great). When we picked him, up he was so nervous that he vomited all over my mother in-laws house. If I leave the room, he is scrambling to find me. My question is….is he suffering like this? His level of anxiety is my concern. If he is given anxiety meds he burns right through them unless he is totally out of it!”

Answer: This is such a difficult situation, and I’m so sorry that you and your dog are going through this. It’s obviously hard on you to see him like this, and although this isn’t the same as the type of suffering experienced from pain- yes, I’m sure this is hard on him, also. Here are some things to consider; I do understand that what you can do may be limited by how much your dog is affected by his cancer at this point.

Especially for separation anxiety, the best results are usually achieved by a combination of anti-anxiety medication and behavioral modification exercises. The medication isn’t given to sedate the dog, but to help reduce his anxiety level to the point where he can relax enough to focus on something besides his anxiety. Then you can work with him to help him learn to remain relaxed in formerly anxiety-producing situations.

If your dog is not on a prescription anti-anxiety medication your veterinarian can prescribe the one best for your dog. The most effective medication varies depending on the individual dog and the things that cause the anxiety. Sometimes several different medications or doses need to be tried before we find the best one.

If your dog is already on a prescription anti-anxiety medication, talk with your veterinarian to see if they recommend a change in dose or medication.

In cases of severe anxiety, over the counter remedies usually are not effective. However, if you want to try something at home, you could try Comfort Zone with DAP, which is a room diffuser containing Dog Appeasing Pheromone, which mimics the natural pheromones nursing female dogs give off to calm and comfort their pups. Some dogs with anxiety really respond to it, others not at all.

At the same time, I would recommend you read up on separation anxiety and start beginning some behavior modification exercises. Your veterinarian may be able to help you with this. We have a basic article on separation anxiety and one on dog noise phobias. If your dog is able, increasing his daily exercise may also help to reduce his anxiety level.

I hope this helps, and we wish you and your dog all the best.

Also See:

Bonnie B March 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Our doctor prescribed Clomicalm for Farley. We were able to get the generic form from Drs. Foster and Smith mail order pharmacy. The generic form was so much cheaper. We are currently waiting for our shipment from DFS. We have decided to do a behavoir modification using my children’s homeschooling and “Farley” (he is the dog in the blog post). So we will be doing a Science project and helping Farley at the same time. I am hoping this will help him to be a part of our family for a much longer period of time!!

Bonnie B

Katharine Hillestad, DVM March 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Bonnie,
That’s wonderful, and what a great idea! A helpful site for learning more is ABRIonline.org. It has many videos on animal behavior, which might make learning how to help Farley even more fun.

Dr. Kathy

Cynthia G. March 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Taking care of a dog with anxiety is challenging, but it can be overcome. I adopted a golden retriever from a couple last summer. They told me that they’d had her since she was a puppy, but another family member told me they had just adopted her a year before. Considering that she’s been re-homed twice in her 3 years, her separation anxiety is understandable. She also has a lot of fear relating to people coming to the house and any furniture being moved (both families re-homed her when they were moving). I’ve done tons of reading and have tried a number of methods to help her to be calm and focused and to build her confidence so that she knows this home is forever.

The most important thing is to not encourage the anxiety. When we make a big deal over the dog’s stress, it tells the dog that the anxiety is justified. When my Evie is starting to “wind up,” I tell her that she’s fine and everything is OK and go about my business. When I don’t focus on her fear, it shows her that everything is fine. The big thing I had to learn was how to really keep my cool. When your child is scared, you want to do anything to comfort her. With dogs, they gain more confidence when you show leadership first and affection second. It took me a while to master this because at first, when she was anxious, I was getting anxious trying to find a way to help her.

We’ve made a lot of progress since she first came home with me. Once I got her out of constant panic mode, we started doing “dry runs” of events that caused her stress (#1 being me leaving her, even to take a shower). I set up a spare bedroom as her safe space (she hated the crate I got her) and started spending quiet time in there with her. Then, we worked up to me putting a gate across the door while still in the room, then with me out of the room for a minute, working up to the point where she was comfortable without me. She is now comfortable with being left for 1.5-2 hours while I go to the gym or other short outings. We’re working up to longer periods slowly. It takes time and patience, but I’ve seen the results. She’s now so much more confident. She even went to the other end of the house for a nap last weekend while I was taking a long bath.

We still have our challenges. When she reaches full-on panic mode (which, thankfully, is rare now, usually triggered by a stranger coming to the house), I practice compression restraint. This keeps her from hurting me, herself, or my cats and helps her to calm down. Basically, I get on top of her, wrapping my arms around her and put enough pressure on her to keep her in place without putting my body weight on her. It’s similar to what the Thunder Coat does or the compression restraint tools used with kids with autism. I’m giving her a big hug and keep repeating in a calm voice that “Evie’s OK” until she is calmer. Then, we spend a little longer in that spot with me close by but not restraining her. I practice herbal medicine, so I’ve been treating her with herbs baked into dog cookies, as well, which has helped immensely.

It’s a long road, but you can help your dog become calm, cool, and collected.

Jason March 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m not sure if my dog is “officially” anxious… but he is jumpy. It’s both annoying – since he sometimes scoots and scatters on the hardwood at the slightest movement you make – and heart breaking, because we want him to relax. That said, most of the time he seems like a happy dog, so that’s good.

Randy Whalen December 10, 2015 at 8:19 am

I have a 6 year old shiba inu. I also have a 2 year old. When he has a temper tantrum, he throws things. When this happens, the dog begins to shake uncontrollably. First I take care of the tantrum. Then try to calm the dog. 20 minutes later it all happens again. All day long. I am concerned for my dogs health. This can’t be good. Any advise?

Judy Beaumont February 15, 2016 at 10:57 am

I have. 3 yr. old Maltichon that we adopted when he was 1 yrs. old. The first year of his life he was locked in a basement. He has no social skills with other dogs. He goes crazy when he sees another dog to the point that he has caused me to fall several times trying to control him. I tried a behavior class for him but was asked to leave because he was so disruptive. I’m planning on moving to California in a few months and really want to be able to take him for walks without having to keep looking around for another dog. Is he suffering from anxiety? Would s thunder vest help? Does he need doggie Prozac? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boo February 25, 2016 at 6:29 pm

My dog gets anxious when groomed, a shih tzu, a must! I read chamomile tea helps calm him, so 2 days before going to groomers I soaked his Beggin Strips in cooled chammile tea ( I poured the tea right into the bag) let the Beggin strips soak for an hour, poured the cool tea out, the Beggin strips stay moisture, my dog is calmer, went to the groomers Boo was the best ever!

Walter Duda March 4, 2016 at 8:11 am

Why do we we have Lyme vaccinations for dogs but not humans?

Connie Simpson March 28, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I have a boxer that is seven years old. She has a sensitive stomach. I have tried feeding her grain free food but it does not help. I know there are special foods for sensitive stomach. What do you think would be the best food for her?

Wendy L Williams February 3, 2017 at 12:10 am

My Collie broke his front left leg last August and instead of surgery was on casts. The casts were done not right and he had visited several animal clinics who gave no specific explanations about what to expect without surgery. His regular vet recommended the cast to be taken off and him to walk. That had disasterous effect. His bone is disintegrating. I have xrays and CT scans. Two major university hospitals in the Seoul area delayed treatment for two months and the condition got worse so he cannot have a 3D artificial bone to save his front leg. He lost a back right leg to
delayed treatment for a rotting hunter’s trap wound nine years ago. I adopted him then and now we are both devastated. Are there any methods to delay bone disintegration? To save his leg? I am desperate for him to live without pain or more discomfort without resorting to euthanasia. Please help. Thank youl.