Puppy Sleeping: First Night at Home

by DFS-Pet-Blog on April 16, 2015

A crate helps ensure your pet's safety. A crate helps ensure your pet\’s safety.

Before you pick up your puppy, decide where he will sleep at night. Will he sleep in his crate, in his bed, or on your bed? We highly recommend that puppies sleep in their crates, since this keeps them safe and makes puppy house training easier.

Whatever you decide, establish the routine that you intend to follow from the very first night. Once it’s bedtime and your pup has been out to go to the bathroom, put him in his crate, with a few safe dog chew toys, and leave him alone.

You may have to listen to some whining (maybe a lot) at first, but eventually your puppy will settle down and go to sleep. If you talk to him, or keep letting him out of his crate (except to take him out to the bathroom), he will realize that whining brings attention. At that point, you’ve taught your dog a bad habit, one that you will have to live with for the rest of your dog’s life.

Eventually, your puppy will go to sleep, and then you’re on the way to establishing a good bedtime routine.

Related:

John Chanellor April 17, 2012 at 11:07 am

I remember when I first brought my puppy home – the whining broke my heart – I just wanted to leap up and give him a hug! But i was strong and I didn’t, a good thing really otherwise he would still probably be whining now!

Recycled Pets NorCal April 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Luckily I start sleep training (crating) all puppies while in foster care. So I have to listen them for a week, but usually by the time they are adopted the new family has a much easier struggle. I always tell people to start right away and not to let them feel sorry for them (because if it won’t be cute in a year it isn’t now). Before I started doing rescue I adopted a dog that had a traumatic past (shot and beat by his owners). The first couple that adopted him would get up with him at 3 am, when he was ready. It didn’t last long before they were tired and so they returned him to the shelter. He quickly learned it wouldn’t work on us, and although 6 years later, he still will try to wake us up at 3 am, we continue to ignore him.

Recycled Pets NorCal April 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

John you are so right! That is the hardest thing to teach adopters. And I should know, I currently have 8 dogs and 2 cats in my house (although 5 are fosters!) which is why I want to win the Busy Buddy Bouncy Dog Bone

Tammie April 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

I think a crate is a very worthwhile investment. Even though my dog is an adult, if I have to leave her alone, I put a chew toy in the crate, such as a Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone so she will have something to occupy herself until I return. I think a crate is a good thing to have for other #PETS as well.

Kelly Ann T. April 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm

We are in the process of adopting another dog, and this was a timely article. Hopefully, with another dog at home it will be less stressful for the new furkid. I would like to win the Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone for Kouga, our only dog at the moment. #PETS

Rosemary April 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I have a “house guest” in the form of a 12 week old GSD puppy. the poor thing was wandering the parking lot of a laundromat, and someone chased her out into the street, where she nearly got hit be about half a dozen cars. I brought her home with me, and the little #PETS would probably like the Bristle Buddy Bone to keep her occupied while she’s in her crate.

David Y. April 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

There is so much to decide before bringing home a new animal. When the family brings home any new ones, we all sit down, make a chart & find out where the animal is going to be during the night. Such a great article.
#PETS CatSpa