Since then we have made many accomplishments:
- Emme competed in her first (and only) Conformation dog show, along with her first Rally competition. Our local Kennel Club held its annual show and we entered because we could and I thought it would be a great experience. I was plenty nervous (Emme, too!) but it was fun in the end. We are hoping to do more Rally, but Conformation is out (not our gig) because…
- Emme got spayed! We managed to get through 14 arduous days of “limited activity” and had a real ball of fire on the 14th day. But, things healed perfectly and so the tough two weeks was worth it in the end.
- Emme got her AKC Canine Good Citizen title! We took a socialization class, and little did we know we were also being evaluated and tested for the CGC title. It was a great class where we had lots of exposure to other people, sights, sounds and experiences. We learned to sit calmly with other dogs, be well-behaved in stores on downtown streets, and how to be a good girl when somebody else is on the end of the leash.
- Emme started going to Doggie Daycare once a week. This is so important for her because she is learning to socialize properly with other dogs, and gets a good long day of exercise. I work 8-5, so I appreciate being able to give her a day during the week where she can be out & about.
Some other updates….
- Our four cats and Emme still have their issues. Our youngest cat, Bengal Cosmo is learning he doesn’t like so much when she tries to eat his head, so is being more careful about where he goes. But he is still out & about all the time and we continue to work on them co-existing. Our female cat comes out more – she knows to go on the “High places” to stay away from puppy, and Emme is learning to STAY AWAY from Cirrhi. Lots of growling & hissing from Cirrhi, and Emme is learning. Our other two male cats though, stay mostly away unless they know Emme is properly away somewhere. We are trying to open up the house more so Emme can roam and the cats can get used to her being around “their space” – but it is going to take a lot more time.
- Emme has spent all summer SWIMMING, SWIMMING, SWIMMING, and SWIMMING SOME MORE! She LOVES to swim! Sometimes she just swims out in the lake for no reason, too, and will spend 10 minutes splashing around and barking at her splashes.
- Last, we have had some behavior issues from Emme, which have been difficult. I will have to go into those some other time – but we are working through them. She is a resource guarder, and has had some fear aggression issues in our home. More to come on this area, as I think many people will be able to relate.
As we head into fall, Emme is progressing in her Agility training – she can pop through 8 weave poles very well, and is learning “HERE” and “OUT” and all kinds of other fun things. So far we are only doing 3-4 obstacle sequences, but it is going great and I can’t wait until next summer when we might be able to start competing!
Next up is our 2nd Rally Competition – hopefully it goes better than the first! I’ll have to tell you about that one…. Stay tuned!