Be Smart About Your Pet’s Medications

by Melissa R. on April 18, 2012

Phone rings. It’s my mom. . .

Maggie, my parents dog

Maggie, my parents dog

Mom: Melissa, we took Maggie (the dog) to the vet for that raw spot on her leg and the vet shot her up with some stuff, and gave us some pills. Thought you’d like to know she’s OK.

Me: Mom, what shots did she get? What are the pills?

Mom: Umm. I don’t know. A steroid? An antibiotic? Let me try to read the pill bottle…. I’m not sure. It starts with a T for sure. Or maybe an L.

Me: … goes on for an hour lecturing Mom about how she needs to KNOW what her veterinarian does, and what medications her dog is on….
—–

When a pet goes on a medication, it is vitally important that the owner clearly understands how the medication works and what potential problems can occur. A pet’s life is literally depending on the owner’s thorough understanding.

This is one of the reasons I LOVE Drs. Foster and Smith’s Pet Pharmacy. Every medication I get comes clearly labeled, and with an extensive “Patient Information Sheet” which gives me all the possible side effects possible, how to handle, where to keep the meds, any interactions, etc. I never have to worry that I am not giving the medication at the right time, with or without food. It tells me it all in great detail. I can also find videos of our on staff veterinarians describing medications on our YouTube channel – sometimes watching and listening helps the information sink in better.

I also LOVE my vet! When I started my senior dog, Mocca, on Rimadyl (a popular pain reliever for symptoms of arthritis) – she was very careful about giving the lowest dosage possible to start, doing blood work before, and doing more blood work after 30 days to make sure there were no side effects going on we couldn’t see – such as Mocca’s liver. I wish all pet owners are as fortunate as we are to have such a wonderful, thorough veterinarian.

pet-pharmacy-advantages

In the end, please be sure to know as much as you can about the medications you are putting in your dog or other pets and side effects. Hopefully your veterinarian will be there to help you as well, but knowing as much as you possibly can only be more beneficial for the health and well-being of your pet.

Other Pet Ownership Information::

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

Kelly Ann T. April 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I agree with this, I have found better alternatives with less side effects for my dog. A pet cannot do this you the human must be diligent in the care of your pets.
I would like to win the Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone for my Alaskan Malamute dog Kouga. He is our only pet at the moment. We have applied to a rescue group to adopt a buddy for him.

amanda April 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

My dog is on a few medications, and quite a few supplements. I try to order all of his medications and supplements from Drs Foster and Smith which helps keep track of everything, but that is not always possible, so I keep a list of medications on my computer as well as a print out, of what type, why, dosage, and date prescribed and date ended or if its an ongoing medication. It helps keep it organized and great from when he goes to the doctor I always take a copy to make sure there records are up to date, and the doctor knows what he’s taking, especially if he has to see a different doctor this his regular one!! I love my #PETS and want to make sure I always no whats going on with them!!
(Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone)

Jacqueline April 21, 2012 at 11:11 am

One of my cats has megacolon and hyperthyroidism, so is on daily meds. I always research and talk extensively with my vet for more information. Wish it was easier to get prescriptions thru Drs Foster and Smith. My vet clinic is not very cooperative.
4 cats (cat spa)

Tammie April 21, 2012 at 11:11 am

I think a lot of people are not good at reading all the information about medications for their #PETS As a blind person, I wish Drs. Foster & Smith and other companies could come up with some form of an accessible information sheet, as well as the label on the bottle. (such as braille), so those of us who cannot see are absolutely sure of what our animals are getting. Please know this is a suggestion for all human and animal pharmacies! I am not saying this is a problem for only your Pharmacy! My Guide Dog would love a Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone

Deborah April 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Our #PETS are in our care and I have to say I wish the support I receive from the mail-order pharmacy I have to use provided as much helpful information online about meds and options as DFS has available in their online resources!

I could really use a new chew-toy for the foster pups I raise for a service dog agency. They go thru some toys like water. I think they would LOVE the Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone!

Elsie Lodde April 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm

We really have to be the best health advocates for our pets (and ourselves), I am always amazed how many people don’t know what medications they are on, all together their pet. Since I run a rescue, I not only have to keep track of the medical info for my 3 dogs and 5 fosters, but the 10 or so other dogs in my care. It is easier than you would think.

My foster dogs would love a Busy Buddy Bouncy Dog Bone

Rosemary April 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I had a hyperthyroid kitty, who developed epilesy. He was on methimazole and phonobarbital. I now have a hyothyroid dog. Between these two, and many others, I’ve had a lot of experience over the years with keeping track of pet medications and supplements over the years.

My #PETS cats would like the cat spa.

Ann E April 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

I have a dog on Thyroid medicine, she’s an elderly dog so we are very careful about what we put her on in the way of meds. We don’t want to harm her liver or kidneys anymore than the aging process has already done.
My girl is a gsd/lab/husky mix would love Large Bristle Busy Buddy Bone

David Y April 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

We always have a list of any medications and supplements on the fridge just in case something happens. The vets know all of the meds & supplements we give all of the animals

#PETS CatSpa

Martha April 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

I keep a list of my pets’ medications, and carry a copy with us even when they are not along for the ride. Best way to be safe and make sure they are too. My dog would like the Furmanator, BTW. #PETS. Thank you.

Lora May 9, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Same here. We keep all the medications in the fridge. Luckily, we do not use them a lot!