Why Guinea Pigs Make Great Pets

by Promise N. on March 1, 2012

I grew up always having pets of some sort around. We always had cats and dogs but also had the occasional gerbil or two. After I got married and had children, we started to diversify the pets a little more. A few years ago, my husband suggested getting a guinea pig. Having never owned a guinea pig before, I wasn’t sure I would like one. But, we decided to give it a try.

Pepe Guinea Pig

So, into our home came a shorthaired, black-and-white, male guinea pig. We named him Pepe. We loved him from his first squeak and purr. He’s such a nice boy!

Our first order of business was to set him up with a roomy “Tubbies” cage filled with Drs. Foster & Smith Aspen bedding, a glass water bottle, and a cute food dish (feeders & waterers). Pepe quickly let us know that he also needed a place to hide inside his cage. Once we got that taken care of, he was very content.

Guinea Pig Cage

Pepe loves to sit in people’s laps and take little treats out of their hand. He “talks” to us and is a good friend for anyone needing a listening ear.

Unlike other small pets, guinea pigs will sit nice and still outside their cage and not try to get away. They’re pretty low maintenance and have great personalities. Besides that, they’re cute too!

We liked Pepe so much; we decided to get a second guinea pig, named Isabell. They’re great additions to our family. I’m glad we decided to adopt these cute critters!

Related Posts:

small pet supplies 468x60

Promise and her husband have 5 children and 10 pets which include 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rat, and 1 turtle. She works in the Merchandising Department at Drs. Foster and Smith and has been employed for the company over 15 years. Although they keep her very busy, she enjoys spending time with her family and her pets.

Why Guinea Pigs Make Great Pets | Lovely Pets
March 2, 2012 at 3:11 am

Bonnie March 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

We love our Guinea pigs too! My son had a Guinea pig for 8 years…..Brownie was 9 when he died. Brownie had a cage mate Hammie, Hammie is now alone and it has been almost a year since Brownie died. Hammie seems to be doing just fine. Our Guinea pigs climb all over our Golden retriever. When we come into the room they chirp and purr…..Guinea pigs are great.

elizabeth traub March 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

My daughter had one for a week, during spring break. He was our class pet. I sure liked how she just carried him around in a basket and dress him. So cute. They do make great pets.

Promise March 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

It’s nice to hear from other guinea pig lovers! I can definately agree with both comments. Our guinea pigs both live in my 11 year old daughter’s bedroom. They had been in seperate cages but now they share a cage and seem to enjoy each other’s company. My kids frequently take them out and carry them around. In the summer the guinea pigs enjoy going outside in a carrier and being let out on the grass.

Sue March 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

I have had guinea pigs for many years. I love the way they always seem to know when it’s treat time and give out a big squeal to let me know its time to #celebrate with a treat. In the summer time we have a large cage outside that we put the piggies and bunnies in so they can get lots of exercise and fresh clover that i plant just for them. Guinea pigs make great pets.. don’t forget the green veggies for their vitamin C.

Stacey March 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

Well out gp story starts out with a guinea pig bought for food – I know horrible! But it has a great ending so keep reading. :)
We bought Jelly Bean as a meal for our boa constricter Sam but Sam wouldn’t touch her. Sam would actually ball up and JB would sleep on her like a bed. They shared the water bowl and after about 10 hours we started feeding JB in the same cage. After 5 days we decided that JB was family and she got her own home and play time out in the house. Her best friend was out pot bellied pig Toby. They loved to go in the back yard and lay in the sun together. She lived with us until she passed away in her sleep. She was definately a different pet – everyone (dogs, cats, pigs, and even snake) loved her.
And yes Sam was perfectly healthy – she had no problem with any other rodents (and sadly to say even other gps) as her meal. She just liked Jelly Beans!
#CELEBRATE

Toni March 16, 2012 at 12:25 am

What a great post to #CELEBRATE owning a guinea pig. I had one when I was a kid. My mom still thinks Piglet was the best pet you could have.

Robyn Rhudy March 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I hope that Pepe is neutered if he’s with Isabel! Otherwise, they will #CELEBRATE and you’ll have more pigs. We have a neutered boy with two girls. I built a huge cage for my pigs called Pigtopia. It’s made of coroplast with three levels and four rooms!

Brooke March 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Guinea pigs have been a part of my life for 20 years now and I wouldn’t have it any other way! They have such wonderful little personalities and are quite intelligent too. They become such a part of the family and even #CELEBRATE the holidays by receiving their own stockings, baskets, presents, and even have special holiday meals made for them.

Jessicca Patterson March 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm

My pet rat, Raisin, passed away a few years ago, and I have been thinking about getting another pet. After reading this article, a guinea pig seems like a good pet for me; one that I can hold and enjoy bonding with, but doesn’t require too much maintenance. Thank you for sharing your story! #CELEBRATE

Angela March 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

I started out with two guinea pigs and I loved having them. One of them, Minnie, has passed away but her partner in crime, PJ, is now 7 years old and pretty healthy. The cat is actually somewhat scared of the guinea pig and she’s definitely the boss. I will #CELEBRATE all the time that I have left with her, it’s getting interesting to care for a geriatric guinea pig.