Office Bird Antics

by Drs. Foster and Smith on February 22, 2012

Parakeet**Guest post by Audrey S.**

I have a parakeet in my office and her name is Skittles. My daughter got her as a birthday gift when she was 12, so that makes Skittles about 7 years old. The older my daughter got, the less she was home. Poor Skittles was left alone too much so I decided to take Skittles to work and see if anyone wanted her.

Much to my surprise, after being in my office for a day I found she had a personality. I put off giving her away. After a couple of days, I decided to keep her because she was quite the entertainer!

Bird-Supplies

She must think I am talking to her every time I get on the phone because she chirps incessantly. She was never one to go on my finger, but gradually she began sitting on my finger. The more time we spent together, the more she was willing to trust me. Now she comes out and sits on my shoulder sometimes during the day. Although she was never one to play with toys much in her cage, she likes to play with my earrings. Being that I work here at Drs. Foster & Smith, I have bought her all kinds of things. I bought her a basketball game that she has been playing with a lot. I just added couple more toys similar to the basketball game and she has started paying attention to them too.

She laid her first egg! I actually wasn’t sure if she was a boy or a girl until the egg showed up. She laid a couple more and now everyone around here wants me to get a male. I am not going to get a male.

Skittles sitting on her Snuggle Sack

Skittles sitting on her Snuggle Sack

I recently bought her a snuggle sack because I thought she might get cold in her cage at night. She has a heated perch, but the snuggle sack looked comfy. The first 2 days I hung it in her cage, but I took it out when I left for the day. She was really afraid of it and stuck to the furthest wall of her cage. On the 3rd day, I decided to put her in it. She scolded me for it, but hasn’t left it alone since. She is in and out of it 100 times a day! She enjoys yanking on it so the clips click on the cage wires. She has since quit basketball.

She has trained some of my employees. When they walk by my office, she whistles to them and they whistle back. Some of them even start whistling and calling her before they even get close to my office. They stop in, talk to her, and ask if she laid any more eggs. I should talk them into cleaning her cage for me ;) .

Related Posts:

• Chicken and the Egg – Every year in early spring, many female birds begin to lay eggs. Keith’s bird, Chicken, started laying more eggs than normal, and then showed troubling signs that she might be egg bound.
  • Chicken and the Egg, Part 2 – Chicken became egg-bound with her ninth egg. The vet’s prognosis for Chicken was not good: unless that egg came out soon, Chicken could die. Find out what happened.
  • Chicken and the Egg, Part 3 – Chicken had an egg-laying craze that left her egg bound. Four months later we were surprised to be faced with a similar situation.

michelle Lautman March 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

Isn’t it amazing how any pet’s personality comes out when we spend time with them. What an awesome story. When I lived in Levittown, Long Island, NY, there was a bank that had birds in cages and out all over. It was so lovely to go in there and even waiting on line wasn’t so bad with such lovely creatures to interact with. I stopped banking there when they removed the birds due to a customer complaint. #CELEBRATE

Amy March 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

This is an adorable story! I love hearing from other people who come to appreciate birds. In the almost nineteen years I have birds (since age five!) I have not come across a lot of other bird people, but when I do it is a ton of fun to swap stories. #CELEBRATE

dayna k. March 15, 2012 at 9:35 am

Sounds like a lovely budgie. :) I recently had a budgie (he passed away last year) named Kenny that was more like a person then a bird. He could talk full sentences and knew over 300 words and phrases. When my cat would walk into the room he would yell out his name, so I know he understood some words he was saying.
His favorite toy by far was his Chicken Little bobble head. It was a freebie from a cereal box. He just loooved his Chicken Little.
I never heard of the snuggle sack before! If I ever get another budgie I will definitively purchase that. It looks like it would be a nice warm, cozy spot for a bird.
#CELEBRATE

Debbie Allen March 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

# celebrate on anyone owning birds..i have a yellowhead amazon and a finch. when i’m not home the tv keeps them company

Jennifer Roberts March 15, 2012 at 9:55 am

Parakeets are so much fun! I have two of them, both about 6 years old, and they definitely have personalities. They like to chirp while I play the piano. They don’t really like to go on my finger much, but they adore my husband. #CELEBRATE

Sharon March 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

Never ceases to amaze me how like children birds are. The minute you are on the phone….they get animated!

Nina Saulic March 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it. I love the photo of her in Snuggle Sack. She looks like she could #celebrate in there.

melissa March 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I love reading stories of other people and their birds! Birds have such wonderful personalities, which I never realized until I adopted my macaw. Thanks for sharing your story! #CELEBRATE

Brittney Jemello March 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I wish I could bring my Sennie to work…he would LOVE it! He loves being around people and interacting. I guess the attention he gets ain’t too bad either LOL!
He is a therapy animal, so he lets anyone hold him. But i work in the food industry so it’s not possible. Maybe one day though! #CELEBRATE

Lois Nervig February 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I loved to read about your parakeet. I have two – don’t know their sexes – but they have me worried. They are very “afraid” of humans and very quiet. I always thought parakeets were constantly busy and noisy. Am I doing something wrong – I am 82 yrs. old and live a very quiet life. Am I too quiet for them? HELP.Will be looking for advice or instruction. Thanks.