29 Ways to Exercise Your Dog

by DFS-Pet-Blog on January 7, 2012

Dog Exercise

The saying “a tired dog is a good” is so very true! Don’t let exercising your dog get boring, change it up and exercise your dog in lots of different ways. In honor of leap year, we’ve come up with 29 suggestions for how to exercise dogs. If you have any other ideas, please leave a comment to share with our online dog-passionate community!

1. Go for a walk
  2. Game of fetch
  3. Trip to the dog park
  4. Swimming
  5. Stimulate the mind with indoor dog tricks

6. Dog-Exercise-Walk

7. Puzzle toys
  8. Game of tug
  9. Agility class (or at home!)
  10. Doggie Daycare
  11. Playgroup with neighborhood or friend’s dogs
  12. Dog sledding (not necessarily professional, check out this dog sledding story)
  13. Playtime in the yard (make it a family event!)
  14. Game of Frisbee
  15. Rawhide or chew toy outside (mental stimulation plus benefits of the outdoors)
  16. Dog toys (get on the floor and play with your dog!)
  17. Exercise Dog Run

18. Game of hide-and-seek (video demo)
  19. Put your dog to work with a backpack (ideas)
  20. Daily tasks (ideas)
  21. Jogging (think of how fit you’ll both be!)
  22. Skijoring (cross-country skiing with your dog)
  23. Hiking (trails, woods, frozen lakes, mountains, etc)
  24. Treadmill
  25. Participate together in a charity walk-a-thon
  26. Canine dance class
  27. Get the hose or sprinkler out
  28. Dog-exercising-sprinkler

29. Dog-and-owner exercise or yoga class
  30. Kiddy swimming pool (video demo)
  31. Obedience Class
  32. Soccer

What’s your favorite way to exercise your dog? Please share!

Exercise-dog-family

Related Posts:

29 Ways to Exercise Your Dog | Lovely Pets
March 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm

bill troop February 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I use a chuckit and the matching chuckit rubber ball to play retrieve with my dog.

Ellen B. March 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I forgot to include one of my favorite ways to exercise my dog….bike rides! I have this Walky Dog bike attachment that makes it so easy. Here’s a video demo of the bike attachment.

Pathummayude March 13, 2012 at 2:31 am

I have a medium mix Terrier, 50 lbs very linerdfy but we live in Mira-mesa and theonly exercise he get is going to dog park everyday sometime he doest participate on running with other dog, he is three years old, how much do you charge for three times a week for 1 hour

Mary Koskela March 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

#celebrate. We have 2 jackrussel mixes and ,as you know,they are very high energy dogs. We walk them daily and find swimming is something they love and a good form of exercise for older dogs(our oldest is 9) all in all we have 2 very healthy,happy ,fit dogs!

Sara March 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

I walk my dog a few times every day, but I also benefit from him being 6 pounds, so I can get him pretty active even in my apartment! He loves to run through my apartment and play! #CELEBRATE

Shannon L. March 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks for the great ideas, me and my dogs like to go for run/walks. #celebrate

Lori March 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

I exercise my English Setter and put smiles on peoples faces at the same time. We visit hospitals to help patients deal with stress and make their stay comfortable. I can’t begin to count the #celebrating our arrival for the reading programs where kids read stories to her, inproving their reading skills and providing her with hugs and kisses. A great way to exercise her by walking halls and greeting kids.

Laura March 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

These are some good ideas. I love to play with my dog, who is quite fond of tuggies. I usually get tired before he does! Also, when the weather is not too cold or too warm, I enjoy taking my boy on a nice hike with his doggie back pack on. Having him carry his own water and water bowl make me smile as well as keep my back from aching. :o)

#CELEBRATE

Debbie March 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

Try to walk my dog everyday. I love it as much as he does. Sometimes it hard trying to find time to spend with him and this really makes me find the time. I #CELEBRATE spending any time I can with my dog.

amber kovach March 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the tips. My one dog is overweight and I’m worried about her health. Gonna go on our walk soon! # celebrate

Eileen Brouddus March 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks for the ideas! I’m hoping to get my cairn terrier into some agility training after we work on his ability to socialize with other dogs. Then I will #CELEBRATE a whole new world for Brodie. Josie already loves Frisbie and fetch and chasing Brodie around.

Terita McCoy Phillips March 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

I read a bunch of your articles and the ways to excercise your dog. oh oh and the toenail clipping video! Thank you Thank You! I have a beautiful, black and brown, active, inquisitive, hyper female Min-Pin and a beautiful female Shih-tzu who is laid back, prissy and loves their momma. Boo is very talkative and loves the outdoors!! I actually have conversations with Boo my Shih-tzu. Some peeps didn’t believe we did this together but after seeing and hearing our way of talk, they were believers! haha I ask her a question and she responds with NOT A BARK but as if she is saying words. She waits till I ask her another question then responds again and this can go on for well until she gets interested in something else. Most times we talk for at least 10 minutes or more. I walk them around the neighborhood and at the park for their exercise and play games with them while indoors! They are my precious furbabies and I do spoil them LOTS! 😀 My Sage the Min-Pin loves to run back and forth as if she is a darter and stops on a dime in her famous stance with front body composure down and ready to bolt once again! She is a trooper!! Sage loves to snuggle around momma, especially long ways of my legs. Both have allergies so I have to feed them all natural foods and treats and would rather anyway. I ordered some items from you guys for Boo’s skin and she is soooo much better now and don’t forget the Frontline!!!. wooooo hoooooo!!!! #CELEBRATE good times, come onnnnnnn!!!! 😀

Jill Butler March 15, 2012 at 10:54 am

Since we cannot put fences up in our development, and long walks with our whippets can be out of the question we play toss the toy, and let them chase us up and down 3 floors in the house. I know that that maynot be enough exercise, but we do our best. If I win the gift certificate I will really #celebrate.

Natalie Noble March 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

We love to go rollerblading with our dogs. They are always ready for a nap afterwards. Thanks for everything you do. #CELEBRATE

Angela March 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

My 4 year old rat terrier is always up for a game of fetch! When its rainy and cold out, I throw her toys down the hallway for her to chase and bring back to me. #CELEBRATE

Janice March 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Our 8 yr old minature dashund is still full of energy! We #CELEBRATE every day we have with a walk. When my husband comes home the howling game begins..He howls and she joins in…keeps the neighbors wondering! Then its the game of who can run the fastest up the stairs. She usually wins!

Gail March 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm

We go to the dog park on the weekends. #celebrate

Ann March 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

We have a couple of different ways of exercising. One is a walk in the woods where my Oca (a Spinone Italiano) gets to #celebrate his great nose, by finding pheasants & every little rodent he can. Then there’s swimming in the local creek, usually trying to catch a duck. Can you say “bird dog”?

Therese Weiner, Patch O' Pits Therapy Dogs March 16, 2012 at 4:44 pm

#CELEBRATE

Every single day with my dogs is a blessing, and we enjoy it to the fullest. Some of my favorite things to do with mine are therapy dog visits which provide a ton of mental exercise for them, for physical stuff we do agility go for walks, play fetch, dance, take classes etc.

Brooke colley March 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Since we don’t have an area dog park a group of dog owners in my area meets every Saturday morning for a pack walk. We Chang up the locations and every week has a different group. My dogs are physically and mentally exhausted each time! #CELEBRATE

Sherry March 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I walk my dog and my neighbors dog for at least 20 minutes. Not only good for them but good for me as well. #celebrate

Denise DeBlois March 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love to take a walk with my golden and I take a ball with me all the time. We stop at parks or any wide open space and celebrate by throwing his ball to catch

Roberta Olson March 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Great ideas. #CELEBRATE

Caleb Riese March 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Foster and Smith is the best….. #CELEBRATE!

Chelsea Ilten March 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love taking my dog for long walks on nature trails. In fact we just came back from a 6 mile walk and she is the happiest, most tired lab ever! We both are going to #celebrate getting healthy.

Dena March 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

#CELEBRATE. I have a shih tzu named Winston. He loves to be outside, but we live in Pennsylvania, so we spend a lot of time indoors in the winter. He loves playing fetch with a regular size football. He has his own that has loose laces. I throw the ball and he either brings it to me by carrying it with his teeth, or he will use his feet to kick the football while running toward me. It amazes me how well he can control the ball as fast as he is running. I never had a dog before. I always had cats. I never realized how much of a bond you can develop with a dog. It’s so different than cats. After 30+ years, I discovered that I am, and always will be a “dog person”.

Patti March 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I like to play patty paws with the dogs for exercise. They love it. #CELEBRATE

Desire' H. March 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

What great ideas!i have been looking for different
Ways to exercise my dogs. #CELEBRATE

Kate March 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Wrigley the Puggle likes to #CELEBRATE the warm weather by running up and down the stairs to watch (and bark at) his backyard deer friends!

Brigitte Walsh March 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm

#CELEBRATE I’m always looking for new ways to keep Yoshi, my shih-tzu, active indoors, especially on rainy/snowy days when we can’t stay outdoors as long as we’d like. Yoshi loves playing fetch indoors with his stuffed animals, and we usually turn it into a game of hide & seek. I’ll throw a toy far enough away, then take off and hide in another room. He runs for the toy, then carries it to find me, usually right away! Sometimes I can fool him! He gets the most enjoyment from long walks, and is ALWAYS thrilled when that walk includes a car ride to a park, where we’ll then walk. It breaks up the same old/same old of walking around the neighborhood.

Diane March 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

We have 3 dogs and we love to #CELEBRATE everyday by going to the park. We take their jolly balls they each have their own color. Duke runs and throws, Annie rolls, Bodie does a little of both, push throw, push throw. I watch smiling and #CELEBRATE my life…….

Andy April 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I also have a dog but I dont see him very often because he is a little bit far away from me. But when I see him I play every day with him because he is very cute and i love him very much. I walk three times a day with him. 😉

Babette April 22, 2012 at 7:39 am

My dog diet 3 months ago and i’m very worry about that:(
I loved him very much.. and he was like a best friend to me. I went three times a day for a walk with him. I grew up with him and i think he had a great life 🙂
Now he’s in heaven and i hope he look up to me sometimes .. <3

Carina April 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Unfortunately, I do not have a dog 🙁 because my mom is against it, but the dog of my neighbor is almost “my” dog, because I like to play with it and watch to them and often go for walks natührlich with her. I love dogs, ’cause they are true “Friends” ?

becki May 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I think it`s verry important for a dog to play with him or go for a walk if he want, but a dog needs also his freedom so he should lay around the whole day if he want. The best thing you can do is do build a playground or something else for your dog, so he can do whatever he want put you also should try to be there for him or her do get a good relationship with him.