Employees at Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies share their passion for pets by writing stories and experiences about their own pets here on our Pet Blog. Learn more about their pets in our Featured Employee Pet Series.
- Name: Bourbon Street’s Heartbeat “J.P.”
- Owner: Keri K.
- Breed: Chinese Crested (hairless)
- Age: 6
- Birthday: Dec 19, 2005
- Weight: 11 lbs
FAVORITES & TALENTS:
- Favorite Treats: If it’s edible, JP will do a trick for it
- Favorite Possession: Plush toys for fetching, especially his hedgehog Skinneez
- Tricks: Sit, down, stay, shake, high five, switch paws, spin around
- Hobbies: Cuddling, playing fetch, treeing squirrels, defending the yard from turkeys
- Canine Siblings: Mo (Chinese Crested)
- Feline Siblings: Dozo and Pandemonium
- Ferret Siblings: Hocus, Pocus, Conan, and Drogo
- How JP found his home:
JP was born in central Wisconsin to a lovely family that runs a licensed hobby kennel, breeding very rarely for their own show dogs and family pets. In fact, JP’s mother is a Multi-Breed American and Canadian Champion! I knew his owner didn’t breed puppies to sell, but I called her hoping she could help me find another responsible Chinese Crested breeder. Instead, she said that she had just begun thinking about placing one of her adults with the right home, and told me about JP. I was instantly in love… he was the same age as our adopted Crested, Mo, and even had a birthday the same week. And my husband and I agreed that skipping the puppy phase and opening our home to an adult dog from a happy, well-adjusted home was a great idea for us.
After exchanging many emails and photos with his breeder, we all decided JP was a perfect fit for our family, and he came home with us the day after the 2011 Super Bowl (he’s our little championship trophy). He has been a joy ever since, with a bubbly, loving personality, always eager to learn a new trick or just snuggle — especially with my husband. He makes a hilarious counterpoint to his reserved, aloof “brother” Mo.