Why Gorilla Glue is of Concern to Pet Owners

by DFS-Pet-Blog on December 16, 2011

Gorilla Glue **Guest post from Ellen B.**

Gorilla Glue is a great product that I recently used for a craft project. It forms a strong bond and worked great for my project. It’s a little different than most other common glues because Gorilla Glue expands as it dries.

Here’s why Gorilla Glue is of concern to pet owners…

Dogs and cats are attracted to the smell of Gorilla Glue and they also like the taste of it. However, if it is consumed, Gorilla Glue expands and hardens in a pet’s stomach. It can cause death by seriously damaging their digestive system.

It makes me nervous to think that I had the product on my kitchen counter and my dog, Izzy, has been known to “counter surf.” Even licking a spill, a towel or the item that has been glued can be toxic. If consumed, the hardened mass generally needs to be surgically removed.

The symptoms are as follows, as detailed in an article from PetEducation.com:

“Enlarged abdomen, bloated in appearance, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, anxiety, vomiting (perhaps with blood), hyperventilation, labored breathing, lethargy. If only very small amounts are ingested, an irritation of the gastrointestinal tract can occur, which may cause vomiting, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain.”

I still think that Gorilla Glue is a great product. Pet owners just need to be aware of the danger it poses to their pets. Just as with batteries, paper shredders, chocolate and many other common household items that are dangerous to pets, Gorilla Glue should be kept out of a dog or cat’s reach at all times.

Related Posts:


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: