Do Dogs Really Need Raised Dog Bowls?

by Drs. Foster and Smith on September 22, 2011

Raised-Dog-Bowls **Guest post from Ellen B.**

My 8-month-old puppy, Izzy, is a big girl of about 65 lbs. Watching her eat from a ground-level food bowl just didn’t look comfortable, so I decided to purchase her a raised dog bowl.

I set up the feeder and was excited about my purchase…until my husband spoiled my fun. “Another thing the dog doesn’t need?”

Well, that was just the nudge I needed to do a little research to show why my little Izzy needed a raised dog bowl! This is what I found:

Benefits of a Raised Dog Bowl

• Raised dog bowls aid posture for proper digestion.
  • Eating from a raised bowl eases joint strain and neck tension during feeding.
  • Eating from a raised level eliminates uncomfortable bending or crouching.
  • Raised dog bowls are a really important aid for dogs with megaesophagus, that have difficulty swallowing, or other digestive problems.
  • Promote hygiene and cleanliness: dogs are less likely to drip water on the floor when drinking from an raised water bowl. Moisture that may get under the dishes creates a great place for molds and bacteria to grow; raised dog bowls help prevent that.
  • BONUS! Less bending is required to fill & pickup raised dog bowls, especially helping owners who have physical disabilities, arthritis or back problems.

As I get up there in age, I can more easily imagine why older or arthritic dogs must particularly appreciate raised dog bowls. Even though my Izzy is a young pup, I think she appreciates it, too. So, yes, Izzy does need a raised dog bowl!

A note from Veterinarian Dr. Holly Nash: Some studies suggest that dogs who are susceptible to bloat should not be fed with elevated feeders; other studies have not found this to be true. It is recommended, however, that dogs at increased risk be fed at floor level. Dogs at increased risk of bloat are usually large, deep-chested breeds such as Great Danes, Saint Bernards, Doberman Pinschers, and many of the setters.

Shop For Raised Dog Bowls at Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies:

Lancaster Raised Dog Bowl Bridgeport Raised Dog Bowl Store N Feed Raised Dog Bowl Raised Dog Bowl 2

Related Posts:

• Dog & Cat Food Nutritional Info Resources – In addition to the pet food and nutrition information available on the Drs. Foster & Smith website, here are some additional reliable resources.
  • Pet Dental Care: It’s Important! – The best way to avoid painful and costly dental disease in your pet is with a good dental health program.
  • My Senior Dog – Older “senior” dogs need a little extra care to help their golden years be a comfy, healthy and happy. Tips and suggestions that might help your dog.

10 Questions About Senior Pets Revisited - Beagles and Bargains
January 21, 2014 at 10:22 am

Jennifer Maddox September 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

My dogs have been eating out of a stow and feed that i flipped the bottom(i dont stow food in there) to make it higher,and my other dog eats off an upside down bucket with his dish on top ( i know kinda hick but do what you have to do) they are all frenzy eaters too gulping down thier food like they never get any….. so i bought the slow feed bowls from foster smith, i wanted the double frame and a single frame since the girls eat side by side and the guy by himself, I had to get a frame from another site because i couldnt get the frame seperate (without the regular bowls) I did find the single frame as an online purchase .. when i talked to customer support i suggested that the frames should be also sold seperately just for that purpose and they said they would take it to management..

JP September 22, 2011 at 11:04 am

Never really thought about it, but it probably would be more comfortable for my big dog. Good post, thanks.

Doggie Nut September 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

We have raised bowls for our dogs and love them. Drs. Foster & Smith is the best for selection AND customer service. Love you guys!

Sarah September 29, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I’d like a coffe mug to match Izzy’s bowl! ;0)

Coffee….mmmmm!!!
“Happy National Coffee Day”
…in black, please :)

Sherri O. September 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Interesting points. It seems the whole “raised dog bowl or not” debate as it relates to bloat is gaining popularity lately.

“Happy National Coffee Day” (mug color choice = black)

Jill Butler September 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I used an elevated bowl with one of my dogs and she loved it. My two whippets like to drink out of an elevated water bowl but prefer not to eat their food up high off of the ground.. My husband started making elevated cubes that fit a 2 Qt dog bowl or a corelle pasta bowl for a hobby and then started selling them. They are nice.
“Happy National Coffee Day” Enjoy yours, please donot let your pets drink the java though.
If I win I would like the colbalt colored mugs.

Kelly Moore September 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

We Love our raised bowls from Dr F&S…They match our decor perfectly!

Happy National Coffee Day
Black

Christin McDowell September 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

My GSD is certainly less drippy when drinking water from his raised feeder. Also, anything we can do to minimize the risk of bloat is worth it to me!

Happy National Coffee Day! (I’d love pink please)

Amanda Steffey September 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love my Drs. Foster and Smith bowls!

“Happy National Coffee Day”

Cobalt please ;)

Linda September 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

My goldens have been eating from Drs. Foster and Smith bowls for over years!! They are the best and easily transportable when spending time at the beach or other fun places. We have 2 sizes, each a different color, and they are perfect in the kitchen.
Happy National Coffee Day! I’d love to have my morning coffee in the blue mug while Milo & Sunny eat from their bowls. Thanks.

www.YourOldDog.com October 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I think raised dog bowls are a vital for any of the larger breeds. My own dogs have been eating from elevated feeders for years and and I cringe when I think back that my first dogs ate from a bowl on the floor.

Cbc January 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The only problem is we have bowls and don’t want anymore. I think it is ridiculous that manufacturers insist upon only selling these with bowls.

Kelly Peterson March 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have raised bowls for my two American Cocker Spaniels. I love that the height of the bowls helps keep their ears out of the bowl. There’s nothing quite as rude as a Cocker Spaniel Ear-slap to the face just after they take a drink and leap onto your lap. #CELEBRATE