How Did You Name Your Pet?

by DFS-Pet-Blog on September 8, 2011

Naming-a-Pet
Naming your children is a huge responsibility as what name you chose will be with them forever. They will either love their name or end up with a “nickname” to replace their given name. The same holds true for “pet parents”…however, our furry friends accept the name we chose for them & love us in spite of what name we chose.
I have had pets and honestly, I never put much thought in what I named them. Fritzi was good for our dachshund. Patches worked for our mixed breed. Sparkey suited our golden/sheltie mix. The same held true for my daughter… she always wanted a golden & his name would be Maxx. Until now… that is!

Frank & Bean with their human friends.

Frank & Bean with their human friends.

Meet Bean! You may think Bean is a strange name for a dog but A LOT of thought went into naming him. He has a brother that was adopted by a close family friend and it was decided to choose names that went together… like bacon & eggs or salt & pepper! They ended up with Frank & Bean! As they are Chocolate Labs, I thought the names were quite fitting.
After the month long process of choosing a name for the new puppy, it got me thinking do other pet parents struggle with naming their pets or do they just think… he looks like “Spot!”
Some of my co-workers have some interesting stories about naming their pets:
  • Jackie: Named Beau short for Lambeau – because she’s a Packer fan!
  • Ellen: Named Kobe because the NBA draft was on tv in the background when her family was brainstorming names for their new dog. Kobe Bryant’s name was mentioned.
  • Barb: Named her dog Rudder because that is a nautical term and he is a water dog. However, she typically calls him Rudder Roo or just plain Roo.
  • Matt: Rachel was named after Rachel Alexandra, who was at the time a popular American Thoroughbred filly racehorse.
How did you name your pet?

Pet Nametags for Dogs & Cats

JP September 8, 2011 at 8:31 am

My dog is also Lambeau, and he’s hoping for a Packer win tonight!

Kris Riebe September 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

I named my American Eskimo Jeebay because he is snow white and Jeebay is Ojbwa native american for Ghost! Our next American Eskimo is going to be named Boo!!

Rosemary September 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

I tend to go on the theory of “Eventually you open your mouth, and the right name comes out”. I once had a black cat that I will admit to calling “Black Cat” for about three weeks, Then, one day instead of “Black Cat”, “Damascus” came out. That cat looked at me, and, I swear, said “What the heck took you so long to learn my name?”

Right now, I have pets who include a black and white cat named T-Max, after the film, and a brown tabby cat named Cappuccino, named for the cappuccino mix box she came in. Trouble is a polydactyl male who showed up, and adopted my porch as his own. Trouble’s his game, so Trouble’s his name. I am keeping a kitten he sired (I’ve since had Trouble and the mother cat “fixed”), who’s name is Bigfoot (yes, also a polydactyl).

My dog, Ilka, is one of the few animals I’ve really had to think about naming. Her official name is Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery. The hard part was coming up with Ilka.The rest of her name name simply describes where I got her.

AJ September 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

It’s so nice to know that I’m not the only one who takes forever to name her pets!

My black and white cat is named Xunalira. She came with the name Isis (except horribly misspelled), and my parents were against pets named after gods, so the name had to change. My Dad threatened to name her Mono. So my boyfriend and I sat down with a word game and randomized letters until we found something we liked. But we always call her just plain “Lira.” She also has numerous nicknames, including Cabinet Cat and Dr. Tinycat.

My big marble Maine Coon mix is named Topher, but not for the actor Topher Grace. My husband is named Chris, just Chris, but a lot of people assume that his name is Christopher and write it that way on official documents. So we started adding “-topher” to other peoples’ names. In the middle of this, we got a kitten. He became Topher, which really fits because he has huge tufts of fur between his toes 🙂

The two corgis came with the names Daisy and Maggie. They’re not the sort of names that I would choose for a dog, but it felt weird to change their names since they were already adults and used to being called that.

michael September 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

I am a tax accountant and my wife saw a cat walking down our street on the evening of April 14th. She called to him and he ran up our driveway. She gave it some food that we had left over from our recently deceased cat, and he hung around for feeding the next few days. We could not find where anyone was looking for a lost cat so we kept him. Since he showed up at our house the day before “tax day” we named him Sami, short for Uncle Sam.

Sheila September 9, 2011 at 10:40 am

My granddaughter named my Toy Poodle. I brought my dog home when she was 7 weeks old. She was a tiny golden colored ball in my hand. My little granddaughter said she looked like a dandelion and Dandelion is what I have called her for 5 years. Her full name is Dandelion Madelyn.

tiffanyannweber September 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

Up until I met my fiance my kids were always named after soap opera stars. My female cat was not-so-nice, so she was Sammy Brady. My current cat was named after Tico Santi on One Life to Live. My fish were named Marlena, Laura, Luke and Jason Morgan.

Obviously my fiance wasn’t a soap fan, so when we went to look at puppies he promptly picked out ours who came with the name Isis. Being a mythology major it bugged me that she’d be named after the “queen of the cats” but he wouldn’t move on the name. Turns out she’s a huge snow dog so we call her Icicle or Ice most of the time now.

Lynne September 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Our dog is named Aja (pronounced Asia). Her best friend from puppyhood was named Chyna. Our friends got Chyna first so when we got our puppy I thought it would be cute to pick a name that went with Chyna. I picked the spelling from an old Boston album.

Adrienne September 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

Lucy our golden retriever was named Lucy for Lucille Ball. It fits, because she’s a redhead. She also has a white spot on her head that we called a snowflake, since it snowed the day we got her, so her middle name is Snowflake.

Our adopted lab/golden retriever mix is Dorothy Gale, because we adopted her from a rescue in Kansas. We call her Dory for short. She loves her name.

Jill Butler September 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

my son had a name my dog contest with his college friends and the winner got a gift card to a nice store. The winning name was Jace which means The Healer. I liked Rhett Butler. Our second dog was rescued so her name was already Brie. when we want to get fancy we call her Cambrie Shannon my little Irish girl.

Patty September 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Our dog is a mixed breed from the county shelter and while we were waiting in line to pay the adoption fee my husband started rattling off names. One of the names was Sandy (she is a shepherd mix so parts of her are a sandy color) and it seemed to fit her so Sandy it is! She also has the nickname of Goofy, Goofer or Goof because when we inquired about Sandy the shelter said she tested orange for Goofball. That was an understatement.

Sara Levesque September 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm

My 4 year old Husky/Lab is named Levi, because her coloring makes her look like a worn out pair of Levis’ She is black and tan striped, We tend to call her T-bone tho at times because she has a white T on her chest. My 1 year old Pointer/husky mix is named Ace! He is my black eyed Ace with two black spots around his eyes.

Mi K. September 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thank you everyone for sharing how you came about naming your beloved pets! I have really enjoyed your comments…

Lois Underwood September 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm

my husband and I adopted our toy poodle.. Her name was Babette…but we wanted something shorter.. so we call her Babe… That way when I say Hi Babe,,, or Stop Babe, or Come here Babe.. Both of them answer…. Makes life easier

Jill September 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Hi, I named my little new mini “doxie” June Bugg, that was the name of my first patient as a nursing student and it just fits this fiesty little one to a tee!!! I thought her name was so funny, I felt too young to call her by her first name and calling her Mrs. Bugg each time I just had to leave the room and laugh!! So after a million years of being a nurse and seeing and hearing all kinds of names, this one stuck! So June Bugg it is…!

Bobby Worley September 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I name mine by physical characteristics. Happy National Coffee Day! Black cup

Samatha September 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Buster is a pittbull shar pei mix originally named Rusty but would not answer to it at all so after days of calling out different names the only one he responded to was Buster Brown. So we stuck with it…Happy National Coffee Day!!!

Mary Beth Roberts September 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

We went to the pet store looking for a fish for our aquarium. There was a pen with a bunch of puppies playing. There was a cute little white poodle playing with them. We had recently lost our 12 year old white poodle and I was drawn to the puppy. I picked her up and began to cry. They let us take her to a “Play Room” to get to know her. I continued to cry and she licked my face. The pet store employee asked my husband if I was alright. He said Yes, but I think we just bought a puppy”. My son said “Isn’t she a little sweetie pie?”. Right there we named her Sweetie Pie and she is the sweetest little bundle of fluff and such a lover.

Heather September 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Enjoyed reading about names … we have Celtic/Scottish/Welsh names here.

Happy National Coffee Day. Black.

Traci September 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

After bringing home from the Animal Shelter a female 4 week old kitten naming her was hard. After much debate and looking at her I decide to name her Latte. I love coffee and a mocha latte is a favorite of mine so it seemed fitting to name her after my favorite coffee drink. “Happy National Coffee Day.” I love the blue mug

Nancy Walker September 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

My green cheek conure is named Princess. When I got her she was about 8 mo old and the person I got her form said I could name her whatever I wanted but I could also call her Precious. Well Precious seemed “too cute” so I decided I would let her personality and behavior determine her name. She became Princess because she acts like one. She can fly but “why bother when she has her human mom to carry her around” is her motto and she is the ruler of the house. Happy Coffee Day! And we would like a green mug to match my little Princess

Anthony Katulski September 30, 2011 at 8:58 am

I liked the way the two letters sounded together B and K, BK!

Lynsey January 30, 2012 at 9:19 am

I bought my dog, a yorkie-toy poodle mix, about two years ago (in fact, our “anniversary” is this week!…yes, I acknowledge it). I was prepared for her: I had already purchased puppy food, dishes, toys, a crate, a travel bag, and a leash. But as I was driving home with her, so excited about my new furry friend, I panicked…I had no idea what I was going to name her! It was about an hour drive back to my apartment, so I wracked my brain for ideas. Everything that popped into my head was too cutesy. Then, I thought of the show “Gilmore Girls,” which had been a favorite of mine and a good friend in college. My friend had once said that she liked the name “Rory” for a daughter. Well, I figured that this little dog was as close to a “daughter” as I’d have for awhile, and as soon as it came into my head to name her Rory, I knew it was perfect. Don’t watch the show much anymore (you can only watch reruns so many times), but I still love the name for her…even though I have about a million nicknames for her (Bean being one of them, along with Pumpkin, Pickle, Angel, Fluffy, Baby Bear…). 🙂

Pet Name August 30, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I think you should always make your pet name creative and meaningful. Sometimes its a good idea to even wait a few days after you get your new pet before giving him or her a name. This gives you a chance to observe your pet and find out about his or her quarks and attitudes. Choosing a pet name that fits your pets unique character will make the name more special meaningful.