Operation Stop Dog Jumping

by DFS-Pet-Blog on August 15, 2011

Me jump?!??!

Me jump?!??!

**Guest post from Ellen B.**

Although she has improved greatly, my puppy (Izzy) still has a tendency to jump on people. A few weeks ago my elderly aunt was going to be staying at our house, and I knew for her safety I couldn’t chance letting my nearly 55 lb. puppy jump on her.

Solution: a water spray bottle.

I prefer to use positive reinforcement such as dog treats to train my dogs. However, given that she could physically hurt my aunt, I decided to try the spray bottle. It’s not harmful at all, but generally unpleasant and enough to deter the bad behavior.

spray bottle

Before my aunt arrived, I gave it a try. Using a small bottle on the mist setting, I gave Izzy a firm “NO” when she jumped up with a quick mist of plain water. She got the point loud and clear.

When my aunt arrived, all she had to do was hold the spray bottle – that was enough of a “friendly reminder” to help Izzy remember to stay off.

I don’t know if a mist of water would work for all dogs, but it worked for mine. We continue to “remind” Izzy to not jump, and give her lots of praise when she stays “OFF” as she welcomes us home.

Related Posts:

Rosemary August 15, 2011 at 8:37 am

Ilka is terrified of spray bottles. It happened when she was about 16 months old, and I decided it was time for her to sleep in our room at night, and not in her crate in the living room (she still chews some, but not like she used to). She hopped up on our bed, and wouldn’t get off when I told her to. I didn’t want to drag her offf by force, so I decided on what I thought would be a better method, and squirted her with the spray bottle I use for the cats. To this day, she cowers whenever she sees me with ANY spray bottle in my hand. I have frequently commented that her head sometimes seems like a cinder block (hard and hollow), but she is surprisingly sensitive about some things.

Maria August 16, 2011 at 11:21 am

My Pitbull and Heeler are both terrified of water and so we don’t use it in any way as a punishment. For them I washed out an 8oz mini soda can. Once it was fully dry I put a few coins in there (pennies or nickels). One shake is more than enough.

Ellen B. August 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Rosemary, your Ilka comparison to a cinder block made me laugh! It sounds like the spray did the trick for you too. Like you, I’m careful to not abuse a good thing.

Maria, I’ve heard of using coins in a bottle or can…that is an awesome alternative. Kudos to you for being respectful of your dogs’ fears. Thank you for sharing your tip!

allison August 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My dog loves both a spray bottle and the can. He thinks they are fun. Any other ideas?

Ellen B. August 29, 2011 at 8:24 am
Becki September 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Im going to try this on my dog. We tried the turning our backs and treating good behavier. She recently knocked me in the forehead in split it open. So I need to nip this in the butt. I use to spray my cat with plain water when she jumped on the screens.
“Green” “Happy National Coffee Day”!!!!!!!!!

Jean March 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I have a two yr old black lab and she still jumps on people I have not tried the water bottle trick will have to try that and see if that works. I just hope it’s not too late to teach her.

Debbie March 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I prefer turning my back on the dog, and then I peek over my shoulder and wait for them to sit. Then praise and hugs. I did have a shepherd mix this this did not work for. She loved water and panicked at the loud noises. So I just started to bring my knee up –SLOWLY– when she started to jump. I would not do this if she was running or at risk of getting hurt ( I just side stepped in these cases), but getting a knee instead of a hug communicated quickly. #CELEBRATE

Jennifer February 8, 2013 at 9:15 am

I might have to try this with my dog (very stubborn Schnoodle). I’ve been reluctant because I don’t like to cause him to fear anything, but he is so…um…”exuberant” that nothing else will really work. We’ve tried commands, ignoring, etc. He’s gotten better with his regular family, but if a visitor is here, he completely ignores commands. It doesn’t help that our visitors always give in to his behavior. If you ignore him he gets even worse because he’d rather be told “no” or “off” and be the center of attention than play second fiddle to somebody else. It’s really embarrassing because he is so much calmer when it is just us, but when people visit you’d never know he had any training at all. He’d been through obedience class and is capable of excellent behavior, but I guess he’s too easily distracted.