Buzz Off!

by Jackie A. on July 14, 2011

Dogs

Currently, we have three dogs at home. We have two small dogs, Murphy and Baxter, who weigh 14 and 12 pounds respectively. Last September, we brought home a third addition to our home, Beau, a pit bull mix.

As with our two little dogs, we put Beau on a flea and tick preventive. I chose Frontline Plus, since it was something that had always worked well for the small dogs. Since we got him in the early fall of Wisconsin, most mosquitoes and horse flies were gone, but we were still left with pesky ticks. The Frontline Plus did a thorough job of reducing the tick situation on the dogs.

So, after the snow began to melt and ticks began to make their way back into our yard this spring, I headed to the Drs. Foster and Smith Retail Store to purchase my first few applications of Frontline Plus for the dogs. I went home and applied the Frontline Plus for the next two months, and that is when the mosquitoes and horse flies came. This year has been wet in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. We can’t complain, as we truly have needed the rain. However, with wet and warm weather come mosquitoes.

Shortly after Beau was bitten by a fly above his right eye

Shortly after Beau was bitten by a fly above his right eye

I began noticing that Beau had bumps on him and he was biting at them trying to itch them, much like we do with mosquito bites. It seemed that mosquitoes and flies REALLY liked Beau, which hadn’t been an issue with the two smaller dogs. I guess you could compare it to how some people are just mosquito magnets and others are never bothered. Recently, he was bitten by a fly and had his eye nearly swollen shut from one bite.

K9 Advantix® II Flea & Tick Control Treatment for Dogs

I wasn’t sure what to do and asked several co-workers what they thought I could do. One co-worker mentioned trying K9 Advantix II, as it not only helps with ticks, but repels biting flies and mosquitoes. That afternoon, I took a walk back to the store and purchased a box of K9 Advantix II for Beau. Within just a couple days of application, I noticed Beau’s itchy bumps disappearing and he wasn’t being bothered so much while we were outside. It worked! I know I was happy with the purchase, and I think Beau was just as happy.

Related Posts:

Jackie and her husband share their home with their two small dogs, Murphy and Baxter, and a pit bull mix, Beau. As a first-time dog owner, Jackie finds it endearing that her dogs, though small in size, are so large in personality. Jackie works in the Internet Marketing Department at Drs. Foster and Smith and holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse.

Rosemary July 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

I really like Advantix for my dogs. The mosquitoes aren’t so bad down here (Texas Gulf Coast) this year, but that is only because we are in a severe drought, as in over 30 inches below normal rainfall for the year. Normally, the mosquitoes are terrible. We not only have heartworm down here, we have West Nile, so mosquito control is important. The county has spray trucks and a spray plane that make regular runs all summer long, even now, when there is not too many mosquitoes, just to make sure we don’t have an explosion of them if and when we ever do start getting rain.

Diane July 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

This is my first season of using K9 Advantix because it is to help with flies and mosquitos along with fleas and ticks. I have only used two applications so far on my dogs, but I am happy with the results. Thank you!

Dog Treats July 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It is so true that some people are magnets and other aren’t. I sadly happen to be one who is a major magnet which is great for others because it is as if all the mosquitoes don’t even bother them because they know I am there. That is such a sad picture of Beau. Glad to hear he got better and that you were able to calm the bites down.

Jane Cooper August 17, 2011 at 8:57 am

Protecting your pet dogs from mosquitoes is important for ensuring protection from various mosquito born diseases. There are thousands of dog mosquito repellents available in the market. You can buy any of them for protecting your dogs. The most famous and widely used product for protecting dogs from mosquito bites is K9 Advantix. This product has been very effective on dogs and thus has a high market value. If your dog is allergic to a particular substance then before using any product on your dog consult the vet first. Talk to the vets online at http://petnvetfinder.com to buy the product for protecting your dog against any bite based on its requirement

Ryan August 18, 2011 at 2:44 am

Dogs become a crucial part of our family especially for the children after they have been brought up in home. Protecting these lovely pets from mosquitoes and flies has always been a prime concern during summer. I remember firstly i used to use some sprays for avoiding mosquitoes and flies. Sooner i noticed that it caused suffocation to them and my dog avoided staying on the room where the spray was used. I searched for recommendations and found Frontline plus and Advantix to be the most useful ones and these have been working well. Murphy, Baxter and Beau look very well together with the family.

Jackie A. August 25, 2011 at 8:50 am

@Dog Treats – I agree, he looks so sad in that picture… but I promise you I gave him a treat right after and he perked up quickly! He has the sad puppy dog eyes down pact for treat begging though :)
@Jane – Mosquitoes have been worse than ever in Wisconsin this year. So I was definitely concerned about the diseases they could carry. I’m now a couple months into using the K9 Advantix II and I will not be switching back from it! Thanks for the tip on the website – I’ll be sure to check it out.
@Ryan – I agree that my dogs are a crucial part of the family! I don’t have children – so they are definitely “like” my kids. I’m glad you found the Fronline and Advantix and have been having success with them. I too used Frontline, but will now be switching to Advantix for all dogs since the mosquitoes have been such an issue this year. And Murphy, Baxter, and Beau thank you fro the complement!

Robin Taylor December 11, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Problem.. Itchy dog.
Why do the products offered by Drs Foster and Smith contain so many chemicals including artificial colors? We all know these ingredients are not good for humans OR pets, they only make the products look and smell better and actually can cause the itchy skin problem to get worse. You wouldn’t think DR’s would promote products such as these unless MONEY was their motivation. Shame on you for using your “VET” status to sell ineffective products to people desperately looking for help with their pets. I am almost certain this HONEST post will not make it on this page, we’ll see. Signed, Disappointed pet owner.

Holly Nash, DVM December 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thank you for your comments. We’re not sure if you are talking about our shampoos, but with the phrase : “the products look and smell better”, it seems that may be the case. The various chemicals in our shampoos fall into several categories. Some are cleansing agents, some are conditioners, and some are emollients, which have rehydrating and softening properties. These have all been selected carefully to provide the best cleansing, easy-rinsing, and least-drying shampoos possible. The ingredients are the same as those used in human shampoos. The coloring agents are FDA approved and the fragrances are the same ones used for human cosmetics which could mean that they are classified as “G.R.A.S.” and consist in a large part of natural oils and extracts. If you think your dog may be reacting to one of these, we would suggest using our Hypoallergenic shampoo, which does not contain any coloring agents or fragrances. The Itch-Stop Shampoo also does not contain coloring agents or fragrances.

Karen March 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm