Look at the fantastic showing of top photos submitted to our Monthly Backyard Bird Photo Contest in May:
For the second month in a row, a hummingbird photograph won the monthly prize of 50 lbs of Drs. Foster & Smith birdseed/blends. This photo really captured the details of the hummer with great clarity…a well-deserved win. It’s so exciting to see what all of you have captured in your backyards – keep the photos coming each month!
With the final migration of hummingbirds to the northern boarders of the US and into Canada completed in May, we are all enjoying the hummers. Here are a few tips to keep hummingbirds coming to your feeders:
- Hang multiple nectar feeders in different places around the yard to defuse competing males.
- Clean feeders regularly with each refill.
- Remember that depending on the temperatures, nectar can spoil in 2-3 days – only feed what can be consumed in a few days.
- Hummingbirds like mist. Provide a mister or dripper to attract more.
- Use a feeder with bee-resistant ports or an ant moat to prevent bugs from invading the nectar.
- Plant nectar producing flowers, shrubs, and trees in your yard that will naturally attract hummingbirds. Try, for example, honeysuckle, bleeding heart, petunia, or trumpet vine.
CLOSED: Enter our *Giveaway:
One lucky winner will be selected on Monday, June 27, 2011 at noon CST.
* No purchase is necessary to participate. You should be a legal resident of the United States and 18 years or older. Void where prohibited. Shipping to winner will be supplied by Drs. Foster and Smith. One lucky winner will be chosen at noon CST on Monday, June 27, 2011. Winner will be announced on http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2011/06/hummingbirds/. Sponsor: Foster & Smith, Inc., P.O. Box 100, Rhinelander, WI 54501-0100. Employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Winner will be notified by email, and must reply with their shipping information within 7 days. Failure to reply within the 7 days will forfeit your prize.