Muddy Paws: Springtime Fun with Dogs!

by Melissa R. on May 9, 2011

Muddy Paws Plus MORE!

Muddy Paws Plus MORE!

Winters here in northern Wisconsin are brutal, and LONG. Particularly this year! Just when we think spring is finally here… we get another batch of snow. I think spring is here to stay this time though (I hope!). BUT – however much I long for spring…. I DREAD the Muddy Paw Season.

Those of you with dogs, particularly BIG DOGS know what I mean! Wet, sloppy, mud drenched paws escaping the front door and making a beeline through the white carpeting or freshly scrubbed floors! Right? You know it! It seems like Mocca is never more excited to come in than when her paws are full of MUD. She has never cared much for having her feet messed with, so spring brings along a constant battle to keep Mocca’s paws clean, much to her disgust.

Sure looks like FUN!

Sure looks like FUN!

Whenever my dog, Mocca, comes in, I make her stop, stay, and wait. Then, the towel (towels) come out and she allows me to clean her paws, with as much effort on my part as possible. Sometimes, I get a little lazy, if it’s not TOO wet out and I let her sneak in, hoping the dirty paws get rubbed clean on the entry floors before heading for the white carpet…then I quick scrub up the mud with yet another towel.

My uncle is smart – he has his dog trained to step in a little doggie bath before coming in! Sure enough, you tell Jesse to “get in the pool” and he hops in, so his feet get clean! My uncle still has to dry them, but wet paws is way better than having the leftover mud you missed on the floor.

The worst was when I had two dogs… The other was an Irish Setter, with SUPER SOAKER paws. That was not just four paws, but EIGHT! Then sometimes my parent’s dog would visit, and then there would be 12 paws! Paw-a-palooza!

Maybe it isn’t such a big deal with smaller dogs. What do you do for the Muddy Paws in spring at your home?

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

dog-toys

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

Mardi Gras For Dogs: Time To Get Down & Dirty! - The Fun Times Guide to Dogs
February 4, 2013 at 11:28 am

Rosemary May 9, 2011 at 10:21 am

Whar’s mud? We’re in a severe drought her in south Texas (more than two feet below normal rainfall). I have lots of dirt in my yard, but the only mud I get is when my son makes it with the hose. We are going to hit about 90 degrees, with humidity (humidity yes, rain, no) almost that high, today. I’ve already cut back on walks and even just having the dogs outside.

Dogs can overheat quickly in this kind of weather. I think it is because the saliva on their tongues does not evaporate as well as when it is drier, and as a result, they do not cool down as much when they pant. Goodness knows, sweat doesn’t evaporate, and you feel like you are swinning, instead of just sweating. Plus, with the high humidity, the air feels like you are trying to breathe in a solid, not a gas.

If you want to learn what it feels like, try this little experiment. Wet down a wool blanket with hot water, and then tossing it over your head for a while. You’ll get the same effect as a gulf coast Texas summer (except that it’s dark under the blanket).

Rosemary May 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

We got about an inch of rain this afternoon/evening. Just doubled our rainfall total for the month of May. The lows will be in the 60’s tonight. Of course, we will be back to hot and humid before the weekend is out.

Ilka has Obedience/Rally trials on both Saturday and Sunday. I am hoping she will get a qualifying score in all four classes, but I’m not going to bet the farm on it.

Jen May 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hee hee…this is too funny (for me). We have a large collie, but collies have wonderfully small paws for such big dogs. Not only that, but Ben is usually not too happy about mud, either, and I’ve watched him hop over puddles and muddy splotches. LOL

My parents’ Golden, however, is another matter entirely. Loves the muck and has the biggest paws I’ve ever seen on a Golden. Glad it’s not me…I can handle the big collie coat, but mopping the floor all of the time would drive me batty!

I’m @LibertyImages and I follow @DFS_Ellen in Twitter! ;D

Betsy Nulton March 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

#CELEBRATE
We do the doggie foot bath on dirty paw days they don’t particularly enjoy it but they know it’s the price they pay for wet sandy walks or muddy frisbee time!

Amanda Haydon March 19, 2012 at 8:47 am

We have 3 rescue puppies and 6 dogs of our own.. now you can imagine the mud and muck that sneaks past this door! This spring especially so far has been pretty bad. After this last big snow storm here in Northern Wisconsin, I thought spring would be a few weeks away! Boy was I wrong! We are now dealing with potty training puppies that LOVE the mud. Two senior Labs and a senior pit bull that hate water, 2 two year old pit bulls that don’t mind getting their feet dirty.. and a shih tzu that has the heart of a lab and pit bull.. the more mud the better!! Few.. wish us luck, I see new carpeting in our future! # CELEBRATE