Black Cats & Halloween: Keep Them Safe!

by Melissa R. on October 15, 2010

Our black cat, Kai

Our black cat, Kai

Halloween is a fun time for people of all ages – kids to adults! Dressing up the kids and going trick-or-treating is an American Tradition, and many of us have fond memories of these times with our parents and friends. It’s even fun dressing up our pets to go trick-or-treating with us! Sadly, though, Halloween is not a great time for black cats…

Our poor black kitties have gotten a bad rap throughout history! “If a black cat crosses your path, you’re in for bad luck!” – We have a big, loving black cat who is nothing but wonderful, and surely not a bit of bad luck. Greek mythology talks about black cats and witchcraft. In the 12th & 13th centuries “witches” in Europe were often seen with black cats, and thought to turn into them. There are many other myths and folklore about black cats. All these old superstitions have persisted, and black cats are now most popular during Halloween.

Have you ever tried to adopt a black cat from a shelter in October? Good luck. Most shelters have learned that letting black cats be adopted anywhere near Halloween leads to bad consequences – the cat is used for Halloween parties and returned, or worse, abused.

So this Halloween, take care of your black cats, and don’t let them out of your sight. In fact, during times when there may be trick-or-treating going on, keep ALL PETS (cats and dogs) confined in a safe place. The doorbell ringing constantly and weird things coming to the door could upset any pet, and in the commotion they could get out. Keep them safe!

More Halloween Safety Tips for your cat.

Happy Halloween

Sale Center

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

Jackie Kingston October 16, 2010 at 10:55 am

I too had black cats when I was growing up. I had the mother, father and kittens. I only had the kitten later but he provided a lot of fun and entertainment for a teen girl. His favorite thing to do was to get up on the roof of the house and couldn’t get down. My dad had to get the ladder out and get him down. Today I am a dog person but I still miss “Fluffy”.

Kathryn K. October 19, 2010 at 5:00 pm

My first cat was solid black and imaginatively named “Blackie.” (well, I was only 5 at the time!). Currently we have 2 black cats– Layla, age 1 who looks just like Kai in the picture above, and Isaac, age 4, who is long haired. Shelter workers have told me that some people won’t even consider adopting black cats because they are “bad luck.” All the warnings about cruelty to black cats at Halloween are unfortunately all too true. Isn’t it crazy that in the 21st century we are still having to protect our cats against medieval superstitions! Layla and Isaac live indoors along with their not-black feline friends. Even when it’s not Halloween, bad things happen to good cats outside. So please, keep your precious ones safe inside as much as possible, but especially on Halloween!!

anne October 17, 2011 at 10:15 pm

i have a adorable black cat called Hermione [aka Cheeky as shes cheeky at times ] shes mostly a house cat but does like to sunbath under the hedge in the summer months or under my chair when im sitting out in the sun shes the doubel of your little Kai i got Hermione from a rescue centre 4 years ago when she was 3 so shes 7 now shes not my firt cat i did have a tabby who was my parents she died of old age 20 and i wanted a dog really but soon as i seen Hermione and her brother another jet black cat i fell in love with them i called the make Spooky and he brought me 2 years of happiness sadly Spooky was hit by a car whist chasing a neighbours cat and he died in my arms but hes forever in my heart on Halloween Hermione is ushally curled up on my bed sleeping and dosent bother with the kids coming and going i joke that shed sleep through an earthquake also Hermione follows me everywhere around the house and jumps on my lap for cuddles hen i sit down ishes a great little friend to have

Natalie October 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

I have a solid black cat named Noche. I found him stray one day, and It was love at first sight. I’ve had him since he was a little kitten that day in the trees. He has grown up into a fine young man. He is sweet as sugar and such a lover. But when he is outside he can be a little devil. He has brought me some nasty gifts on the steps over the years. Love my Noche always

Katherine L. December 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

We have 2 black cats, one girl (9 yrs old-had her since she was a kitten), and one boy (8 yrs old-also as kitten). In the 9 years they’ve been here, no bad luck has come from them, only snuggles and heart-warming purrs.

Growing up, 2 of our first cats were also black brothers, half purebred himalayan. They were both very different, though both very loving cats. We even got our neighbors to like them, as I used to visit all the time and the cats would follow me over, and they were horrified of them at first, but they tolerated them because they liked me coming over. They even admitted that they’d become fond of them when we moved with them, and we kept in touch via phone a while after that. No bad luck there either.

The only bad luck that’s ever happened because of a black cat is bad luck from a human TO a black cat. The cats aren’t the culprits, the people who hurt them are.

Our beloved cat we had in addition to our current girl and boy, who we had his whole life, was actually stolen from us on Halloween in 2005, wearing 2 collars!!!! People can be so heartless. After all these years, it still hurts, and I still miss him terribly. It’s like losing a child with no closure. I know with certainty that someone took him, he was such a friendly cat that he would have walked up to or followed anyone walking right into their house or car. I looked for MONTHS and put flyers everywhere. No one ever claimed to have him or return him. So we are left wondering what happened to him with the pain that he’s either in someone’s house without being allowed to come home or someone hurt him or worse.

Please keep all pets inside all year.
Our current kitties are all indoor-only and don’t try to go out, so life inside must be alright.

Isha October 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

My mother had a beautiful black cat named Sixtoes who unfortunately had the bad luck to be born black with 6 toes on her two front paws, and being born to a christian zealot family. My mom stepped in and saved Sixtoes from the father trying to kill the kitten in the name of Christ by drowning. You would never find a more loving and friendly cat and she brought much joy to our family. I’m glad to say she lived a long happy life of 16.

jade May 5, 2013 at 8:06 am

I have a lovable black cat that we found on the street and to hear all these things that people do to a black cat is crazy! Why on earth would you get a cat just for a night! My cat is very loving and she even loves are dog!

g llewin October 22, 2013 at 11:45 am

this sort of superstition / occultism really happens. our own black cat was found abandoned under an oak tree on a ”friday 13”. he was in good shape, got over his ordeal, and never looked back. but yes, maniacs really do weird things with black cats.

Kitten Face February 15, 2015 at 8:11 am

Right now, I am sitting in my rocking chair with my beautiful black cat named Mogley. He is the most precious cat you could ever think of. There are a lot of black cats in our neighborhood. Our cat does not get harmed because our neighbors are so caring. And sadly it is true what is happening outside our neighborhood.