Keep Your Pets SAFE During HOT Weather!

by DFS-Pet-Blog on July 16, 2010

Dog-in-hot-weather

Summer pet safety is a “hot” topic as most parts of our country experience very hot weather. It’s so important to keep your pet cool, safe and hydrated during these hot summer days. Browse the following resources to get tips on how to keep your dog or cat cool and safe during hot weather.

• Heat Stroke in Dogs: What You Should Do – A dog that cannot cool himself off is at risk for heat stroke. Learn the symptoms and what you should do if your dog is at risk for heat stroke.
  • 5 Ways to Cool Your Dog in Hot Weather – Help your dog be comfortable in hot weather. These tips will help you keep your dog cool and safe during the summer heat.
  • Tips to Prevent Dog Dehydration – Hot summer days can be dangerous for your dog. Take extra care to keep your pet hydrated, whether he stays indoors or outdoors.
  • Video with “stay cool” tips by veterinarian Dr. Holly Nash from our archives:

Do you have any “stay cool” tips to share with fellow pet-passionate readers? Please share them in a comment below.

Popular Products To Keep Dogs Cool and Safe:

Hydro Bone

Hydro Bone

Nylabone® Romp 'n Chomp Freezer Bones with Treat

Nylabone® Romp 'n Chomp Freezer Bones with Treat

Handi-Drink Pet Water Bottle

Handi-Drink Pet Water Bottle

Cage

Cage & Crate Cooling Fan

Go to our homepage for a full collection of stories & information about Pets.

Summer Essentials For Dogs: Is Your Dog Ready to Beat the Heat?
December 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Carol Olah June 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for tips on keeping our pets calm, cool and collected.

Jennifer G June 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm

My husband and I live in Florida. We have a husky. We try to keep him inside during the hot hours of the day. When we can though we take him to our friends place where he can go play in the creek. He loves swimming in the cool creek water.

johanna stadler June 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

When it is really hot, I take a soaking washcloth, and ring it out over my dalmatians, especially when they are older.

I have a question also, my year old dal has started having seizures in february. Can the heat cause him to seize more? Just checking before I decide it is ok to run/walk him in the evenings after it cools.

Barbara June 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

We often hose the dogs off while they play in the back yard – they like it and it keeps them cool!

Jacqui Bongiovanni June 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm

We take our Dogs to Bow Wow Beach about 4-5 times a week. They have a nice little lake where the dogs can swin or frolic in the water! They love it there 🙂 We also buy them Frosty Paw treats for a special treat in the summer. Ice cubes in the water. We are thinking about getting them a kiddie pool for the backyard too! We love our babies 🙂

Kelsey June 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Let’s see, we only go for walks or to the bark park in the early morning or after the sun goes down. There is always lots of water out and I freeze plastic tubs of water to add to the bowl. Keep the water in the shade. The boys always have access to AC. Once summer really sets in, we’ll swap the bark park for swiming in the pool.

Heather June 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm

My lab loves to be outside, so she has her own plastic puppy pool (under an umbrella on the deck) and also swims with us in the people pool! For treats, I mix non-fat yougurt and fruit, spoon into small cups and freeze to make puppy cups! I also stuff and freeze her stuffable toys 🙂

Tina O'Block June 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Great advice! We always walk our dogs early morning and late evening in the summer months. When it is too hot they both wear their cooling bandanas that work extremely well and stay cold the entire day.

Lara Katz June 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I have a Great Dane that doesn’t cope well with the heat at all, probably mostly because she is jet black. She is a couch potato, and parks herself in front of the air conditioner all summer, so that pretty well keeps her comfortable inside. We get her long walk in at 5 am, and during the day she just goes outside for short potty breaks (and refuses to walk far enough that she would even get hot). Unfortunately, I also have a Mini Cooper, and she does tend to get very toasty in the car, I think because of the sun beating down on all the windows. So, this summer we’re adding a cooling vest and sunshades for the car’s back windows to her summertime accessories, and hopefully that will get her outside a bit more.

Susan June 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

We have a small baby pool for our Yorkie during hot weather when we are all outside in the backyard.

Amanda Lawniczak June 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

We take our black lab swimming in the lake!! She loves it!!

Katie S. June 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

This was great information! We’ve had quite a bit of hot weather here and my dogs love being outside.

Lauren E June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Buy a cool coat! We bought a cool coat from a company called Must Luv Dogs. The material is very absorbent and keeps the coat cool when soaked with water. Tazz wears it on walks during the summer and it really helps to keep him cool. We are very sensitive to the temperature and only go for short walks when it is hot out. Even then, he used to come home and pant for an hour after playing with his friends. Now, he’ll barely pant and he’s cool to touch. I swear by cool coats, although, you do get a lot of weird looks for putting a coat on a dog in the middle of summer. We always have water with us and try to walk so that we are always 5-10 minutes from home or the car if the temperature becomes too hot.

Peter June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

This is some great, timely advice. Here in SW Florida it has been in the 90’s for over a month already, and it’s only gonna get worse. Ice cubes in the water after a walk is not just a cooling treat for our little Chihuahua, but it’s a must.
My turtles however, are loving the warm days. I just have to make sure I keep their water level topped off as the stronger sun is evaporating it faster.

Candy June 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Indoor activity that keeps my pet entertained & cool during hot days is cookie treasure hunt. The key is to have your dog sit & stay in a back room & then put really strong smelling, tiny treats in places off the ground so that he utilities his sense of smell rather than sight (dogs naturally sniff the ground-putting treats higher up shakes things up a bit). Then i yell “treasure hunt!” & he comes running! He always finds 9 out of then 10 treats… they’re all in a different spots but i always place 1 on the edge of 1 of the cabinet doors. He seems to find that one the next day, lol!

Heather June 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Honey Bear & Bruno love ice cubes. I often give them a whole bowl to eat & they still want more.

karrie branfort June 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm

we used to have a dg water bed for our golden, now we take them swimming as much as we can. and we spray them with the hose. and they have air conditioning

deb freitag June 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

cool

Jessicca Patterson June 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I choose the hotter days to bathe my dogs. The water from the hose is always a bit cool and it helps to keep them cool and clean! Then, since it is a warmer day, they dry off fairly quickly! They seem to really enjoy it. They play in the water and try to eat it while they are getting their baths!

Winnie Cooper June 10, 2011 at 6:08 am

I talked about/ linked this blog post in my blog yesterday! Thank you for the great information! http://theotherwinniecooper.blogspot.com/2011/06/lets-talk-about-how-to-keep-your-dogs.html

Jennifer Carroll June 10, 2011 at 7:09 am

Have a Shiba Inu who does not tolerate heat well and a Jack Russell/Beagle mix. They hate baths, but love the sprinkler! The Shiba will lure me to the spigot and once I turn it on, she leaps like a gazelle and spins in little circles…such joy! They will play for hours, if I let them. I also have a kiddie pool which they seem to use as a big water dish.

Ashley Grant June 10, 2011 at 8:18 am

My Judah loves his Kong filled with wet food, then frozen for a cool treat! Or frozen peanut butter. 🙂 He’s not too picky!

Ashlea June 10, 2011 at 8:19 am

Cool tips for the dog days of summer. 🙂

Dia Koether June 10, 2011 at 8:23 am

I take my tiny toy poodle everywhere as she is a sound alert service dog. During the heat of the summer, if we are attending outdoor activities, I carry a small cooler with bottled water for her. I also place 2 or 3 small wash cloths in ziplock bags that I can dampen and lay across her. She seems to enjoy the coolness from the cloths. And I recently purchased a small portable fan that is battery operated so I have an option to just the damp cloths.

Amy June 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

My dogs love swiming, so we make sure to go to a river, lake, pond, ocean, or at the very least, fill up the kiddie pool for them during hot weather exercise and play. They love to come kayaking with us as well. They have their own life jackets for safety, too!

Laurie Campobasso June 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

I like to put my doggy in the bath tub and gently pour cool water ll over lkinda like a th with no soap lol.

Marilynn C. June 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

It helps to get my black pomeranian’s hair shaved off. It’s great for her to have all that hair during the Colorado winters but summer is a different story. My pug enjoys playing with the hose. She tries to bite the water. Usually they stay inside with the AC.

Genesis June 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

My dog CoCo Nut, loves ice cubes in hot weather. I also have frozen homemade chicken broth (really just the water left after boiling chicken – to avoid too much sodium etc). Those are her favorites. There is also a store nearby that carries doggy ice cream. If I stop for my ice cream, she gets hers. Most of the stuff I do is already posted….

teresa June 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

We take early morning walks with our lab & gsp to beat the heat. And Sinatra (lab) loves to run in the sprinkler!

Mary Hall June 10, 2011 at 10:51 am

I live in Minnesota, and on the occasional day when it does get hot, it really makes it count! I have two basset hounds. If we’re out and about, I make sure that I have plenty of cold water with ice in it to give them. I am also going to be buying a couple of cooling bandanas from Doctors Foster Smith shortly here. If we are at home and it’s hot out, their favorite thing for me to do is to stuff a hollow beef bone with wet dog food. I’ll put them in the freezer for a few hours, and when I take them out, they’ll have a tasty frozen treat that takes them 15-20 minutes to finish! I always makes sure to have some on hand if I know it’s going to be hot out. For a quick treat, I make up some “better than boullion” and pour into an ice cube tray. I place a Wellness jerky treat in each. They love ’em! 🙂

Lisa S. June 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

Our dog drinks nothing but ice water in the summer. If she doesn’t see ice cubes floating in the water, she just looks at me like, “Didn’t you forget something”? LOL

Rachel Cawley June 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

We keep a spray bottle handy full of water and spritz our dogs’ belly and inner back legs. It really helps when the temps climb.

Alison A June 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

We have 3 large dogs and live in Alabama where it has been close to 100 degrees already! The best thing we have ever done is install a dog door to our air conditioned sunroom. They have access to cool air whenever they want and we don’t have to worry about the temperature (and all the things we used to try to keep them cool.) They still have their outdoor kiddie pool, but now they also have access to cool water inside. They love it and I love not having to worry about them so much in the heat.

William Falls June 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

I carry a bottle of water with me when walking my dog on hot days. I also tie a wet neckerchief around his neck. It helps a lot.

Cynthia G. June 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

I have a kiddie pool for my golden in the back yard. Half full with cold well water is just right for cooling my girl down. Always remember to dry your dog with a towel after swimming and to feed a good quality food to avoid hot spots!

Michelle Fletcher June 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

My Isobel (shepherd mix) has a very low tolerance for heat, I’ve had to carry her home from the park twice before we figured out what was wrong with her. Unfortunately for her she is limited to only about 15 minutes of playtime outside during warm weather.. : ( So what we do is limit how much time she is actually running and playing around, and we have her lay down in some shade with lots of water to drink and spritz all over her. She actually knows now to go and get a drink before she can continue to play. When we come home i have a fan just for her that points down on her, which she loves, or if it was really hot, a nice COOL bath NOT cold, to cool her off, she loves just to lay in the water almost like a baby pool. lol But these tips make it fun for her to play safely.

Carol Wiethaupt June 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Our two gordon setters love it outside, we make sure there is plenty of shade for them. I also refill 2 huge water bowls with fresh water and ice cubes, and also run a fan over the top of the icy water for them. Big umbrella on deck open for them too. They come inside in the late afternoon because its too hot.

Deanne L. Fridley June 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Our dog LOVES her 2 daily walks. When it’s really hot we make sure one is early in the morning, and one is around dusk so she’s not overheating (herself or us!).

Mary Pokrajac June 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Our mixed breed is ecstatic with his bowl of ice cubes when it is HOT. Kemo eats them like there is no tomorrow. Also, we never leave him out for an extended period of time. If we are in the A/C,,so is he. No reason for him to be out.

Katrina June 10, 2011 at 11:25 am

I have a GSD and he loves the pond. He is in it every time he is out side .I all so have bandanna’s that I get wet and put in the frizzier for him, He loves them and I tough him to use the Ice maker on the frig he can get Ice cube any time he wants to!!

Josh J June 10, 2011 at 11:29 am

I baught a baby swimming pool for my dogs to play in. I put the swimming pool in the shade so it doesnt get hot and i leave the water hose in it with a small drip to help keep the water fresh.

Sarah June 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

We put ice cubes in the water since they all seem to have issues when they are on the floor, and walks and play time are in the morning and evening. Every once and awhile if we go to get ice cream, they get one too that has a doggy treat on top. Also have fans going and they love to sleep in front of a fan or by the register when we have the central air on. They love the hard wood floor to lay on since it is nice and cool. Big one is we just limit their time outside during the hottest hours.

Cassi June 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

I have 2 pugs. I keep them cool at their agility trials by having them where cool coats, fans on their crates and keeping the wet. They do well with the heat also because I keep the on the light side for their weight 🙂

Patty June 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

This was a great video and I plan on sharing it with family and friends. One of the things I think could be added is to NEVER leave your dog in the car when the weather is hot. As much as you think pet people know not to do this, every year you hear about some one who did this and the story has a tragic ending.

Natalie Noble June 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

We have a Doberman Pinscher, a Miniature Pinscher and 2 foster Min Pins. All black, short haired dogs who can’t stand the heat. They also can’t stand rain or cold. I would love to learn more about the cooling products you offer. Thanks so much!

Ellen B. June 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wow – so many AWESOME suggestions for how to keep dogs cool during hot weather! Thank you to each and every person who left a comment. The lucky person to win our Cool Giveaway is Laura. (Laura, I will contact you by email). Everyone have a great weekend!