The “Weird” Things We Do For Our Pets

by Melissa R. on July 9, 2010

The cats enjoy a good view

The cats enjoy a good view

I was thinking the other day….and realized there are quite a few things I think are perfectly normal, that perhaps a non-pet-owned person might not! Here’s a few:

• Mocca (my dog) has her own, dedicated bedroom. A queen-sized bed is included, along with a special set of sheets and her blanket. I re-make the bed every morning. Why? Because she messes up the blanket & top sheet to get it “just right” to sleep on. I think she likes to do it herself each night. She also has a dresser of her own, stocked with her treats, supplements, toys, grooming supplies and other healthcare needs.
  • I ALWAYS save at least 1 french fry or 2, or maybe 3! for Mocca. She is horribly dissapointed if we come home from eating out (I don’t know how she knows, she just DOES) and there is no little white box for her.
  • OK – this might be a little gross…but maybe more normal than I think, poo-checks! Yes, that’s right. I quite often (as often as I can), check her poo. Just a little glance, to make sure things “look right.” I know…gross. But hey, it is a sign of good health and you never know what could be lurking!
  • We no longer have a sink stopper in the bathroom. The kittens just couldn’t resist this, and we were woken up at 2am way too often by the sounds of rattling in the bathroom!
  • Our living room is arranged so that we can get optimal viewing of BOTH cat trees so we can enjoy seeing them play on them! Plus, we had to get one in front of the window. Thankfully, it all worked out pretty well.
  • I carry dog treats in the glove box, along with a spare leash & collar. You never know when you might need this!
  • ALL garbages are either hidden inside a cabinet, or covered. Both cats and dog get into these!
Share with me what things YOU DO for your pet that might seem normal to you, but not to a non-pet owner…Comment below:

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

Mary K July 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I bought a SUV so I have room to take my three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with me.

John July 11, 2010 at 10:03 am

I was away from my cat for Christmas one year with the in-laws and promised to give her a gift when I returned. Sometime after I returned I went to whole foods and bought her a $25 tuna steak. No seasoning, just seared and tada! She loved every bite!

brittany July 12, 2010 at 9:18 am

I do all the above- and ear checks! a quick sniff to make sure the ears are all healthy in my two flopeared mutts!

I also am determining my new car on my dogs…

oh, and I’m a chronic dog food shopper. I am constantly in search of something- ANYTHING- to be good for them!!!

Speaking of which, do you or anyone at DFS know of a good dog food for two overactive large dogs that are losing weight on six cups daily of high protein, high fat performance food? Please help. They’re skin and bones.

Ellen B. July 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Mocca has her *own* bedroom? Wow, that’s pretty good! I’m a nut with buying new dog toys. Seriously own about 75% Drs. Foster & Smith dog toy selection! I recently had to get him a bigger toy basket, and we forever have toys all around our living room. It’s like having a 2 year old again!

Rosemary July 17, 2010 at 12:21 am

Well, six years ago, I had to buy a $90.00 trash can, because it was the only one I could find that was cat- and dog-proof. The foot pedal to lift the lid has broken over the years, but unless it is filled to overflowing, they still can’t get into it.

I almost always have those little leashes that you get from the vet’s office on hand, either in the car, my purse, or fanny pack. They came in handy in a non-animal way when I tied a headlight assembly back on a car after an accident. Of course, I’ve also used them for their intended purpose of leashing dogs.

We bought my ’91 Lincoln Towncar in 1999, because we traveled with a baby and an 80 pound dog, and the ’89 Ford Tempo was just too small. Next car will also have to accomodate the critters.

For a long time, we had childproof latches on our upper cupboards because one of the cats we had back then kept getting into them and knocking stuff out, including the glasses, which, of course, broke when they hit the counter or floor.

I try to avoid getting plastic bags at the grocery store, The sackers might get annoyed at all my canvas shopping bags, but my black cat, Boeing, has a thing for shredding and eating plastic bags (and yes, I’ve seen the evidence in the litterbox). I’d really rather not have to pay my vet to remove them from his stomach. Haven’t had to yet, but why risk it?

The deadbolts on my pantry doors (with the keyed side out) serve the two-fold purpose of keeping both the cats and my seven-year-old autstic son out of the food (human, avian, canine, and feline). Both my son and oldest cat love potato chips, and ALL the cats know that if they can just knock it over, that great big canister is full of cat food.

I’m sure there’s more, but they seem normal to us, so we don’t think about them.

Jackie July 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

I may or may not have a doggie diaper bag… http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+19312&pcatid=19312. I have this with me whenever the dogs are with me and we are not at home. It has two extra harnesses (one dog actually chewed the other’s harness off and broke him free when they were puppies… not taking that chance again), extra leashes, treats, chew bones, toys, calming spray, motion sickness meds (one dog gets very sick in the car), clean-up wet wipes, gauze, cut stop, a traveling water bottle, potty pick-up bags, and eye clens. I’m sure there are some other things in there.