Bike With Your Dog

by DFS-Pet-Blog on June 4, 2010

**Guest post from Ellen B.**

As summer weather and longer days roll in, consider dusting off your bike for some bonding time with your dog. Dogs need fresh air, and they’ll enjoy a bike ride just as much as you! Regardless of the size or even the fitness level of your dog, there are bike accessories that make it easy for you to safely include your dog on bike rides. While small, older or disabled pets will need to ride, many dogs benefit from the excellent exercise of running along side you–which you’ll want to read on to ensure you do this safely.

3 Ways to SAFELY Take Your Dog For a Bike Ride

1A dog bike trailer is great for pets large and small, and it easily changes into a jogging stroller with an optional kit. It lets your small, older, or injured pets enjoy your company outdoors. Perfect for walks, jogs, or bike rides when you aren’t sure if your dog can make it all the way.

Bike trailer good for any size dog.

Bike trailer good for any size dog.

2Bike baskets are a wonderful way to include your small dog (up to 15 lbs) on bike rides. They easily attach to bicycle handle bars to create a soft comfortable riding area.
~~~

• The Sporty Bike Basket (top picture) has a removable rain cover, clip leash, pockets for treats or belongings, and 2 water bottle pockets.
  • The Bike Basket (bottom picture) is less expensive and can also be used as a car seat and shoulder carrier!
Dog-Bike-Baskets-1
3Walk your dog while you ride with a Walky Dog Bike Attachment. It converts from bike lead to baton leash in seconds and an internal tension spring absorbs jolts and jerks. The video in the above link shows how easy it is to install and use on your bike.Here are a couple Walky Dog product testimonials from our customers that I think are very helpful:

Walky Dog Bike Attachment

Walky Dog Bike Attachment

What a great product! I have an 8 yr old Australian Cattle Dog who NEVER runs out of energy, and this wears her right out! It’s an excellent exercise tool, and my dog took to it without any real training. I received it today and took her for her first “bike ride” this afternoon. It was great to be able to disconnect her at the park and walk her off the bike with the baton, then snap it back in place and ride home again.

I have a 15 month old lab that has to be worked out 3 times a day or he is restless in the evening when we are trying to get the kids to sleep. I was browsing and saw this product so I thought I would try it out. Here are a couple of notes that you might find helpful. 1) When you think the coupler is tight enough… tighten it some more. He was strong enough to adjust it, and tried to switch sides on me. 2) We walked for a few minutes before I jumped on the bike. It was more to get him comfortable with a bike being so close to him. 3) It will take a few rides before he stops trying to go his own way. It is a bit of a workout trying to keep in balance. 4) On our first run he did about 1 mile full tilt and would have kept going if I let him. I need to get my speedometer fixed, so I can work on his endurance and keep him from over doing it. 5) I don’t think a normal collar is appropriate to use. I used his walking harness. This would be sufficient, unless your dog is uncomfortable. I think I need to invest in a pulling harness, because I don’t want him getting chaffed.

NOTE: During hot weather, go for bike rides in early morning or late evening hours when it’s cooler, and always have water available to keep your dog hydrated. Read these other tips to keep your dog cool.

Leave a comment on this post to share your experience with biking with your dog, or to say which option you think would best suit your dog!

Sarah June 4, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’m not much of a bike rider, but my dog Ernie LOVES to bike with my boyfriend. I like to think of it as their bonding time.

Maybe if I had something like the Walky Dog Bike Attachment, I’d be more into it.

Shelley @ Green Eggs & Hamlet June 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

Definitely want to try bike riding with Hamlet (my Boston Terrier). My big summer plans include the purchase of a used mountain bike, as I currently am bicycle-less. Then I hope to have Hamlet jog along side or put him in a basket if he gets tired. Thanks for the tips!

EvaMarie Coe June 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have 8 siberian huskies and use an adult trike .I hook 2-4 up with pulling harnesses dogsled lines.It is a ton of fun and gives me more control over the dogs

Ellen B. June 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

Sarah-I like your philosophy on it being bonding time for between the two of them. My dog is so “stuck” to me, I sometimes wish he had some special activity that he only does with my other family members.

Shelly-I bet Hamlet would love it! Given his size, the basket sounds like a good backup plan. You’ll have to share pictures if you get a bike!

EvaMarie-That sounds incredibly fun! I would love to see a picture of how you do that. Bet you get lots of people watchers! With them needing so much exercise, it has to be just a perfect activity.

Courtney June 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I am totally for taking your dog along on bike rides! It is such great exercise for both me and my dog! However, I have some concerns about the Walky Dog bike attatchment. When I was shopping around for bike attatchments, Walky Dog scared me because of the pole that they use, because it looks like it would stab my dog in his side if the bike fell over. Plus, if my dog ever tugs or pulls in one direction, I will be dragged along with him. After much research, I finally found the Springer bike attatchment, and I absolutely love using it! The springer part of the bike attatchment reduces 90% of the force of tugs and pulls. The Springer also has a safety release incase my dog gets caught around a tree or bush. Check it out for yourself at their website, they have videos where you can see a Springer in motion! springeramerica.com Bike safely with your “best friend” and get a Springer, I highly reccomend it!

EvaMarie Coe June 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

I would be more than happy to send photos of my dogs dryland mushing with the trike .I also have a few short videos that show how much fun it is for both the dogs & myself : )

Juliette January 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

This looks great, I wonder if you can use this device with a small dog?

Nichole February 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

Is it safe to assume you can not use a dog basket on the front of your bike if the dog is over 15 lbs? Guess the bike would tip over….

Ellen B. February 28, 2011 at 10:34 am

Nichole, I checked with our customer service team and here is their response: Because of possible balance issues and weight restrictions with most of the bicycle carriers, I would not recommend putting a dog over 15# in a front bicycle carrier.

My co-worker has small dogs and uses the bike trailer. Here’s an article she wrote about biking with dogs.

Juliette March 11, 2011 at 4:05 am

Hi again – yes I bought a Walky Dog – was very difficult to get here in UK but I read all the great reviews at Amazon.com and went for it. My dog is a westie and we are fine with it – we don’t go on the road, just paths in woods and in countryside. Thanks for recommendation.

Sara June 2, 2011 at 6:11 am

I have a small dog too and have been putting him in the front wicker basket on my good old-fashioned pushbike – he loves it, but I so worry about what happens if we fall over (I don’t go on the road or anywhere near traffic and try to stay near grass). He wears his harness. Does anyone else worry about this?