Well, it has been a rough couple of months with my senior dog, Dulse, who will be 13 on June 15! I almost made the “ultimate decision” when we had a situation where he got stuck on the porch all day while I was at work. BAD “mom” for letting that happen- it won’t again! He was so exhausted from trying to get up all day that his front legs wouldn’t support him, so I carried all 100 lbs of him inside and out and to bed for an evening. I told myself that this may be the time that I had to make that decision, but the next morning he was walking around again and he has not had a bad day since. I have been keeping a mini-calendar charting his good days and bad (none since that day three weeks ago) and have been even more mindful about keeping him out of potentially dangerous situations – until yesterday, that is.
I had been cleaning out my cupboards and had my canned goods in a box on the floor – things like soups, hot sauce, a jar of sauerkraut, black and pinto beans, Bloody Mary mix, etc. These were all sealed cans or bottles. None had been opened. I had two Mylar-type bags of Sabrett’s Onions in red sauce (I’m a former New Yorker), which I very carefully put up and away, because I know from experience that Dulse is a chowhound.
Okay, so I went on my merry way to work and came home on time, only to see old man Dulse on his bed chewing on a can of pinto beans. I immediately took it from him and then I noticed that he was lying on glass (from the sauerkraut jar), sauerkraut all gone. I looked around further and saw five SOUP cans completely crushed with bite marks all over them and the soup sucked out, an empty can of Bloody Mary mix (no alcohol, thank goodness!), and some bitten-into, but rejected, cans of hot sauce and olives. Let me reiterate that these items I had in a box on the floor were sealed (not that I feel guilty or anything).
I gave him a quick once over and noticed that he had no cuts anywhere, even in his mouth. I know that there was a possibility that he had swallowed some glass. I called the vet who said to give him a small meal and watch him. I gave him a few slices of bread and lined the house with Super Large Piddle Pads and thus began my night of watching and dreaming bad dreams and going over to check to see if he was still breathing. These are my “fur kids” after all. It is not a night I care to repeat. Ever.
The night was uneventful and he eliminated the sauerkraut, with no blood that I could see. The dogs had a grooming appointment scheduled the next day, and because my groomer is so knowledgeable about dogs and she is located in my vet’s office, he was eyeballed all day. I will have to continue monitoring him for a while, but so far, so good.
So now, in addition to keeping opened treats up and away from the dogs, I am determined to keep unopened canned goods in a safe, dog-proof place. This to me indicates that even knowledgeable people make mistakes in caring for our pets; but lesson learned.
Update: It is a week later and Dulse is doing fine. We really dodged a bullet with that one!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
- Mojito’s First Obedience Class
- Say Good Bye to Pet Stains & Odors
- How Many Rocks Can A Dog Eat? Conclusion.