PAWticipate For Pets

by Drs. Foster and Smith on April 16, 2010

**Guest post from Ellen B.**

At BlogPaws 2010, a conference for pet bloggers, a challenge was proposed that I knew Drs. Foster and Smith would want to participate in…

In a session called “Be the Change,” some creative pet bloggers shared their experiences of how they raised money to help animal shelters and rescue organizations. Then, they presented a challenge for everyone in the room…and of course to all people who are passionate about pets: develop your own way to help our animal friends. One lucky person in the crowd got to pick the shelter of their choice who would be the recipient of the challenge. The shelter chosen was Pets Without Parents in Columbus, OH.

Here’s what we are going to do: a comment-athon. We will make a donation for every blog comment! Starting at 12:01am on Friday, 4/16/2010, leave a comment on any post in this Drs. Foster and Smith Pet Blog. Each person may leave up to 3 comments on different posts.

PAWticipate

• Share a little story about your pet
  • Share an experience you’ve had with your pet relating to the post
  • Ask a question – or answer a question posed in a previous comment
  • Add a bit of your wisdom to any post

For every blog comment (up to 3 comments per person per day), Drs. Foster & Smith happily agree to donate $1 in a Drs. Foster & Smith pet supplies gift certificate to Pets Without Parents, up to a maximum of $250.

But wait, there’s more! One of the people who leave a comment on our blog during PAWticipate For Pets will ALSO get to choose a shelter/rescue of their choice to receive an additional Drs. Foster & Smith gift certificate in the same amount that is raised for Pets Without Parents! The lucky person will be selected at random and announced on Monday, April 19, 2010.

Watch this inspirational video made by Lynn Haigh (@FrugalDougal on Twitter) to get more history on “Be The Change.”

I hope you’ll “PAWticipate For Pets!”

pawticipate for pets

No purchase is necessary to participate. You should be a legal resident of the United States and 18 years or older. Post a comment between 12:01am CST on 4/16/2010 and 11:59pm CST 4/17/2010. Void where prohibited. Drs. Foster and Smith will mail the gift certificate directly to the animal shelter/rescue chosen to receive a donation . To see who won, go to http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2010/04/pawticipate-for-pets. Sponsor: Foster & Smith, Inc., P.O. Box 100, Rhinelander, WI 54501-0100.

Nina April 17, 2010 at 8:29 am

All of my cats have been foundlings or from a shelter or give-aways. They have all been wonderful companions and I hope they feel the same way about me and my family.

Alison April 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I also donate when I can to the Arizona Humane Society, Phoenix. I am such a softy when it comes to any animal. I bring in all the strays & try to find their homes. I have been 99% successful!

Frugal Dougal April 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Great Idea hope you get to the target mai pal. Mai staff is all back home now reunited with me and her suitcase! Looking forward to the #blogpawty on the 21st hope to see you there for a little while !!
woof woof
@frugaldougal

PJBoosinger April 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

If I read the instructions correctly, each of us can post 3 comments/day for up to $6 on that gift certificate so, day 2, post #4. Conversation time :)

I own my animals, currently 3 purebreds and 4 mixes; dogs and cats. I OWN and it is being an owner that gives me the right to treat them like my kids if I wish; otherwise, someone else gets to dictate how they are treated. Human parents have fewer rights with every day; animal “parents”, “guardians”, whatever will have fewer than that to start with.

Dr V April 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Just re-tweeted this entry to everyone- there’s no reason we can’t reach $250!

Every day I look at my pets and I am so grateful to have them with me and fortunate we have rescues and volunteers willing to help them get to good homes. I can’t imagine my life without them. Viva la rescue!

Ashley + Prudence April 17, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Oh this is great!

Though my three animals are mixed when it comes to how I came to adopt them, my darling cat Harry came from a local shelter. This shelter, the Humane Society of Knox County has actually almost had to shut its doors a few times because of lack of funding and support. Somehow, they’ve been able to stay just barely afloat, but I always try to donate or help them in as many ways as possible. I don’t think some people really understand the hard work that goes into places like HSKC or Pets Without Parents.

Jean April 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Thank you Drs Foster and Smith for pets in need of new homes.

Lois April 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Great idea and a super cause. We have had five dogs in our married life–four rescues and one inherited from my Mom. Current pup is Abby a velcro cutie who has never met a person she does not like (and, strangely, never met a dog that she does).

Lois April 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Comment #2 – Our first rescue dog–a poodle and ?? mix lived to be almost 21 years old. We buried her at a pet cemetary and she was the 2nd oldest dog there

Lois April 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Comment #3 – our in herited doggie was a maltese named Mandy. She was tiny but fearless against all people and dogs. Such a sweet. I actively support our local Maltese rescue group–United Maltese Rescue.

Life With Dogs April 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Rescue is where it’s at. Just ask our Greyhound – he did a fine job of rescuing me! :)

Jean April 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hope the goal of 250 comments by midnight is reached. The pets in need of partners can benefit from the funds.

Tina April 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I have always adopted from rescue. Spay and neuter will probably be on my tombstone. This is a wonderful and kind thing to do for needy pets.

William April 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Great idea. Pass the link to friends.

Les April 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Money for a shelter. Always happy to help.

Mary Engstrom April 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Someone dear to me had to put their cat to sleep today. Hug your pets every chance you get as you never know when you’ll have had your last one. Let’s raise some money so some lucky shelter pets get a chance at a loving home.

Les April 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Been shopping with you for a couple of decades. Any chance of some of the really indestructible big dog plush toys from a decade ago coming back?

Les April 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Oh, forgot to mention, I ADORE your compounding pharmacists. Still haven’t had to have anything compounded but that’s because they were so honest and forthright with information my veterinarian could only guess at.

William April 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Could you do a blog entry on the pros and cons of restricting access to heartworm and other meds?

William April 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm

And maybe even include rabies vaccines in that blog? Just seems that it would be nice if those were more readily available that more animals might be vaccinated. Is the vaccine in the dropped packets for wildlife the same as what’s in the ones we give dogs and cats?

Alison April 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Here’s hoping you reach your goal! A wonderful & thoughtful commitment! Kudos to Dr F & S!

rachel April 18, 2010 at 2:07 am

I think I’m probably too late, but I really appreciate what you are doing! My first cat, Muffin was from a local shelter. Sadly, she passed in February. My new cat Milo was a shelter cat who was adopted by someone else. I was perusing kijiji and I saw her ad–her fiance was extremely allergic to him so before she moved in with him, she needed to find someone to take him in. He was “free to a good home”, so a friend and I picked him up and he’s been with me for about 2 months now. I think that shelters/rescue groups have fantastic volunteer opportunities, but they are also in need of donations like these. Thanks so much for what you are doing.

Deb April 18, 2010 at 6:23 am

I used petfinder.com to find my two rescue dogs. You can search for specific types of dogs; locally or nationwide. I did travel quite a distance to get both of my rescues and they have been well worth it!

Susan Gertz April 18, 2010 at 8:33 am

Yesterday we brought home dog #4, our new rescue puppy, Gus. He is a Giant Schnauzer/Standard Poodle mix, 10 weeks old. Dogs 1, 2, and 3 are settling in with him. Some growls and nips, but tails are up and wagging!

Alison April 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

I know I’m too late but had to comment to the person telling of her friend. I put two down within a year. I haven’t cried so much since I put my other cat down. The cat was right around 18 but my Aussie dog was only 10 & had a tumor on her spleen. It was devastating! I empathize!

Edie April 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Just read about this under the wire: Frankie, my first dog and a rescue, has done as much to rescue me as I’ve done for him. Thanks for all you do for pet care — including this.

Gabby_da_Tabby April 19, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks fur pawticipation in da “Be the Change” project. Good luck in reaching your goal. Being a part of da pawpawty movement has heightened our awareness of rescue needs. Spread da word!

Colleen April 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Think Pawsitively . Pets are people too and deserve a better life..

Ellen B. April 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated in “PAWticipate For Pets” to help pets in need. It’s wonderful to see the enthusiasm in helping needy pets. We received just over 100 comments, and Drs. Foster & Smith will round that up to a $125 gift certificate donation for “Pets Without Parents” shelter to get pet supplies.

Kamnel was the randomly chosen person who gets to chose an animal shelter/rescue of her choice. We will post another comment as soon as we know her animal shelter/rescue of her choice to also receive a $125 Drs. Foster & Smith pet supplies gift certificate.

Thanks again to all who “PAWticipated!”

Ellen B. April 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Happy to announce that Animal Protection Society of Durham was selected by Kamnel to receive the matching $125.00 gift certificate for pet supplies. Sending out a big pat on the back to everyone who PAWticipated in our comment-athon to help pets in need!