Pets With Pets: They Have Fun!

by Melissa R. on February 4, 2010

Maggie & Mocca Playing

Maggie & Mocca Playing

Having been an “only dog” owner for awhile, I was very interested to see how Mocca behaved when my parent’s brought a new puppy home. Mocca spends a lot of time at my parent’s, as they take care of her when I go out of town. While Maggie (a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) was very young, Mocca was not too thrilled. She spent a lot of time outside, away from the small terror. Over time though, they seem to have gotten used to each other.

Maggie is now 6 months old, and although Mocca still spends a lot of time with her head held high while Maggie jumps at her face, they also play together! The first playtime happened while at an agility trial. My dad was with me, and brought Maggie. We took the two of them to a field away from the trial and just ignored them for awhile to see what would happen. Sure enough, suddenly Mocca gave Maggie a “Play Bow” posture, and started enticing her to play. Once Maggie realized Mocca actually wanted to PLAY, she was ecstatic, and then the playing ensued. I think they wrestled with each for a good half hour until they were both breathless and looked quite happy and content! We were thrilled. (Plus I figured, it got Mocca wore out for our course and she might do well! Read about this trial here)

After that initial encounter, they now play happily whenever they are together. It’s so much fun to watch them interacting, and such a great way to burn a little energy for both of them. Here’s a video we took over the holidays:

heart-cats

Cirrhi & Kai: Best Friends

The cats have been very interesting to watch as well! Kai, our 7 year old cat, had previously only had the company of two very senior cats to play with. So nothing much happened there. He would play on his own with a foam ball from time to time, and always loved a good game of Da Bird, but that was about it. When we brought Cirrhi (our Ocicat kitten) home, we were astonished by the change in Kai! Once he accepted her into the house (learn about this process here), they became fast friends, and spend most of their time together. They are forever found curled up on the bed together, eating together, or playing. It’s amazing how much Kai plays now – not only with Cirrhi but with all of her toys. In the past he ignored them, but not now. We are certain he taunts her with his tail…and she can never resist! Enjoy a video of them playing:

In the end, I think what we’ve seen makes a strong case for pets having a companion pet, or at least interaction with other pets often. It keeps them physically active and mentally active, which is so important. How many of you have more than one pet? Do you think their life is enriched because of it?

Go to our homepage for a full collection of stories & information about Pets.

Related Posts:

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Fun Pet Story: Weird Things We Do For Our Pets
January 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm
Dogs & Fireworks: How to Help Dogs Scared of Fireworks
June 26, 2013 at 7:01 am

Chris T. February 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

Great post, Melissa! We have four dogs and they seem so happy together…I don’t think I could see it any other way. It seems like our dogs truly enjoy being a part of “the pack.” I agree that having a playmate around is probably beneficial for any pet. We’ll take a dog or two to visit friends who have an “only dog”. The fun they have together is a joy to watch!

Lori February 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

That was so fun to watch. We have 3 cats and 1 dog. The cats play well together. they are 7,5 and 1. Oscar ia5 years old and “T” is 1 year old, play the same way yours do, not a gently, but they still play and yes the youngest cuddles with Oscar. “T”, likes the dog also, the other two were older and are still leary. But all in all, everyone is happy and I like knowing that they have each other.

Cindy February 4, 2010 at 2:52 pm

GREAT post! We have 3 cats, similar to Lori’s situation, 2 males 7 yrs old that have been together and living with us since they were 4 months old and a recently adopted 1 year old that LOVES to play with both and chase them. I always dedicate 20 min play time a day with them and I get to be part of the chasing and the fun! Ha,ha! They’re my children! We want a doggie but not sure how the older ones will take it … or the younger one. She was a stray and really scared of dogs πŸ™‚
Mocca is a very handsome dog!

Michelle Pinciaro February 9, 2010 at 10:58 am

A little over a week ago we brought home our new Shitzu puppy…primarily to be a playmate for our 5 year old maltese. We got the puppy from a local breeder and we were able to bring the maltese to visit with the puppy for several weeks before we brought her home. It made the transition relatively easy for both dogs. They were instant “best buds” and play so well together…it’s fantastic! Now my older Keeshond (15 years old but spunky) is not yet overjoyed with this newcomer…but he will come around. I am a firm believer in either having more than one dog or making sure if you have an “only dog” he is allowed to play with friends as often as possible.

Carol Nelson February 11, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Blogs and Facebook are really fun to navigate and read about the interesting lives people have with their pet owners. Nice to see all the positive things going on at DFS. I know dedicated pet lovers, people like you are in the background making it all happen. The sites have taken on a new look from when I last visited them – hope they are working out well. Great articles and fun reading! Keep ’em coming!