A Multi-Cat Household: What Gender Next?

by Melissa R. on October 18, 2009

Zoe, Porsche & Kai

Zoe, Porsche & Kai

Until about two months ago, we were honored by the presence of three cats in our lives. Zoe (female gray tuxedo), and Porsche (male brown/white tabby) were litter mates, and at 15 years, seemed pretty healthy. We were battling a thyroid problem in Porsche, but other than that no health problems. The third cat is Kai, an all black cat who was found alone at too young an age. He is now about 6, and has turned into a great big beautiful cat! Sadly, Porsche passed away in July unexpectedly, and we miss him greatly.

So now we have just two cats, but it seems it is time to get a third again. It would be nice to round things out with a youngster! I think it would liven things up for the other two cats, and the younger cat, Kai, could use somebody to play with. Zoe will have none of that! However, as much as I know about dogs….I know just as much nothing about cats. Honestly I don’t even know how you litter box train them, or how in the world you can possibly keep track of a tiny kitten! But, we need another cat, so it is time to learn.

My biggest question right now is this: Which gender should we get? Right now we have a 15 year old female, and a 6 year old male. I know there must be opinions on this one, or at least some suggestions for us! Please let me know which gender we should get to round out our happy home.

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

About the author: Melissa is a devoted pet owner with several cats: Kai, Cirrhi & Ritter; and the newest addition, Emme a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Melissa is an avid dog agility enthusiast, and hopes her new pup will someday be an agility champion! She is a Graphic Designer and Project Coordinator for the DrsFosterSmith.com and LiveAquaria.com websites. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Michigan State University and is a lifelong pet lover and owner. See more articles by Melissa R.

Debbie October 18, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Why not consider a bonded pair of kittens or young cats from a rescue?

One kitten will probably pester your senior to distraction. Two should entertain themselves. A pair thru puberty might be the best bet.

Lisa October 18, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Melissa, I’m sorry to hear of your loss of Porsche. It’s awful when something like this happens so suddenly. I’m glad you have so many other ‘kids’ to help you through your loss. I can’t wait to hear your new adventure’s adding a kitten to the family. Looking forward to your next article! *Lisa

Melissa October 19, 2009 at 8:10 am

What a nice idea to get a pair of kittens or young cats….Not sure we want to have 4 cats at once, but it is definitely something I hadn’t thought of and will consider.

Marian October 21, 2009 at 10:22 am

For many years my husband and I have had up to six cats. The idea of adding a pair of kittens could work very well. On the other hand it’s possible that as the kittens become adults they may not (or rarely) come to socialize with your older cats. We faced the gender issue recently when we lost two to illiness and were left with one female and three males (we got another female). We’ve found that males and females (and males and males, interestingly enough) bond together better than females with each other. But that doesn’t answer what to do when you want only three cats! We have found, though, that having four is no more work than three. However, if you truly want only three, if you get a KITTEN rather than an older cat, the gender probably won’t matter much. The older cats will keep the youngster in line (!) and interact with him or her on their terms. (If I may, I’d like to add an alert to blog readers to a new book I wrote aimed at fellow cat lovers: Confessions of a Cataholic, about living with the 10 cats who caused my “addiction” (WordPowerPublishing.com).

Cristie October 23, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I am sorry about Porsche! We currently have 6 cats (2 male, 4 female). When we only had 3 of which the two oldest are male and the first female we adopted 2 more, one being female and the other male. Our two boys were not very receptive to another male in the house and the new male decided he needed to mark his turf in our house (even though he was neutered)! So needless to say he went back to the Humane society, which was the hardest thing I have ever had to do as he was an amazing cat! Our two boys are very much bonded to each other whereas the girls are not so much. So, I think that if you are only wanting 3 cats and intend to get a kitten, the gender will not matter. Good luck!

Melissa October 26, 2009 at 8:16 am

Thanks Marian & Cristie for the detailed responses! You’ll see in my newest blog post that we did decide on a kitten, and went for a female, although we didn’t think it would matter either way. Unfortunately, our oldest cat, Zoe, is having some health problems right now. We’ve been trying to get things under control but she isn’t improving. We have a vet appointment today which I am trying to be hopeful about.

Pat Lemmons December 5, 2014 at 4:58 am

Nice ideas and great comments. Thanks for sharing info.