Is Cat Furniture Worth the Investment?

by Keri K. on September 30, 2009

Dozo enjoying our Watchtower

Dozo enjoying our Watchtower

Is cat furniture worth the investment? Yes!

Shortest blog post ever!

Okay, I can elaborate. I have two pieces of Drs. Foster and Smith cat furniture – a “soft sage” Watchtower Tree and a “forest green” Treetop Hideaway – and the cats have obvious affection for them. I decided to purchase two because we were moving from a large home to a much smaller one, and I knew Pan and Dozo would appreciate the extra room to play. Plus, as kittens they had already learned how much fun furniture is: They’re the orange pair in this product video.

Reasons we love our kitty Trees:

• Though front declawed, the cats spend daily time at the sisal posts. I have never seen them go through the same scratching motions on the couch or any other piece of “people” furniture.
  • They give the cats a safe retreat. When a car pulls in, Pan often heads straight for the top of his Watchtower, where he can get a good look at the visitors. If he’s unsure, he goes right to the cubby at the bottom. The trees are also nice elevated spots if they don’t want to share playtime with the ferrets.
  • Pan is literally jumpy, too. He’s been known to leap from the floor to your shoulders without warning. The Watchtower’s tallest platform gives him a place to be up high without needing you to get there, and he has noticeably decreased his people-climbing.
  • The Trees have helped keep the cats off the counters and table. Although the Watchtower sits right beside our dining room table, it didn’t take long for the cats to learn that sitting on the tower is okay but sitting on the table isn’t. They don’t feel as if they’re being unfairly denied the tabletop, because they have another, acceptable table-level place to be.

Pan napping on the Treetop Hideaway.

• We’ve made the Treetop Hideaway their trick-training spot. When the treats come out, the cats scramble to the same place each time, knowing what’s coming next (Pan attempts a trick, and Dozo shares the reward).

The cats sleep on and play with and watch birds from their Trees, and having two means they don’t have to share if they’re not in a brotherly mood. While they truly are easy to assemble, be sure to follow the enclosed directions, especially with the tall pieces! It’s quickest if you do everything in the correct order, and not put a level on upside down (personal experience). They just look good: like they belong right there amidst the other furniture.

The Trees have become an important outlet in our cat’s lives and their very favorite place to hang out. The only competition would be from their Slumber Nest and my laptop keyboard.

Keri is a lead catalog designer for Drs. Foster and Smith and holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from UW-Stout. She shares a small home with her husband, two Chinese Crested dogs, two cats, two ferrets, several reptiles and amphibians, and 30-some gallons of freshwater planted aquariums. See more articles by Keri K.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Ask Pet Vet » Is Cat Furniture worth it?
October 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm
Cat Tree Hollow
October 11, 2011 at 10:43 am
Cats on Counter? Deter "Counter Surfing" Habits
December 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Monica S. September 30, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I totally agree Kerri! My cats ADORE their DFS Furniture. Next purchase will be a DFS Super Deluxe Tree (#4164) and a DFS Window Perch (#3906). I even “retired a Kitty Kastle that we used to carry to the cats at the barn. They LOVE it!
PS … Love the paint choices, wish I could have convinced someone to let me paint so bold!

Keri T. September 30, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I would love to add another Tree to our bedroom, and then more bird feeders on the little balcony for them to watch, too. Do you ever try not to think about all the things you buy for the animals, compared to what you buy for yourself…?

And thanks, we call that one wall “mac-and-cheese-powder-orange!”

Eileen September 30, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Where did you purchase the DFS Furniture?

Melissa R. September 30, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Wow, after reading this, I think we need to get a cat tree or 2! We have one of the cardboard Cat Cavern Scratchers, and 1 of the cats perches on it & scratches up a storm all the time. I think it’s time to expand though since we’re getting a kitten soon! Here’s the cat cavern scratcher: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+20831+17643&pcatid=17643

Keri T. October 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

Eileen, the whole Furniture category can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/DFSfurniture
There are lots of choices!

I’ve been thinking about getting a piece of cardboard furniture too, Melissa. My boys love the cardboard insert on one of their toys.

Monica S. October 1, 2009 at 8:50 am

Eileen, Sorry, let me clarify, DFS is “shop-talk” for those of us that work here at Drs. Foster & Smith. I sometimes forget that it isn’t something that everyone uses. See the link above in Kerri’s reply … it will take you right to the Cat Furniture.

Barb October 2, 2009 at 3:35 pm

My cat has been using the cat furniture I have for 9 or 10 years and it is still as sturdy as ever. I have the Classic-Cat Treehouse, which sits in my bay window right by the bird feeder, and the Watchtower, which is in Max’s private dog-free territory. Also, I bought a Deluxe Cat Tree for a friend over 7 years ago.This tree has survived 4 cats diving on to it and is no worse for wear. I can’t say enough good about this furniture.

Debbie October 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm

A good, sturdy, reasonably-big piece of cat furniture is never too expensive when you consider what furniture repair costs these days. Add the entertainment value to both your cats and you, and it is a real bargain. Just be sure to get one that is well-build, cleanable, solid, and big enough to hold all your kitties.

Kathy November 3, 2009 at 9:19 am

I debated getting a cat tree or condo for my cats about 10 years ago when we aquired a very nice one from a friend after he lost his cat to divorce and the cat moved cross country. My then eight year old cats loved it and spent many hours bird and people watching and playing tag. So we aquired a second tree.

When we later adopted two new cats from a shelter after the death of one of our cats, the first thing they did when we gave them freedom in the house was head for the cat tree. Our male scales it like a monkey would a tree. Our remaining senior cat, now 18 1/2 sleeps on the lowest level next to her favorite window and heat vent and also in the second level cave area (when she wants to be with us but have some space).

Cat Supplies June 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Just like anything else, cat furniture is only as good as the use it gets. You have to know what your cat likes and buy furniture that suits them. If your cats likes your soft chair or a pillow, giving them a hard carpeted surface to lay on may not work out. If you are trying to curtail the cats use of your furniture then a well chosen climber or hammock may just what you need.

Cat Training March 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

Watchtower Tree and Treetop Hideaway look awesome!

If you want to get really excessive, you can always try cat trees that look like trees. Natural and adorable! 🙂

Artificial Grass February 22, 2013 at 2:52 am

Even though your domestic cat does not have to worry about hunting preys or protecting itself from a predator in your home, its instinct tells it it is safer to always be high up.